2 builds, same install error: unable to partition harddisk

Bios247

Feb 22, 2022
I've got 2 new builds I'm trying to install Proxmox on. The install wizard works fine, and finds the nvme drive. I get all the way through the install wizard, and it fails after 1-2 minutes of starting the install. Both builds are getting the same error: "unable to partition harddisk". See attached screenshot for more details. Installing with EXT4 since it's just a single drive.

Hardware:
Ryzen 5700G
32gb g.skill
Samsung 980 EVO 1TB NVME
MSI A520M PRO <or> ASUS PRIME A520M-A

Both motherboards are on latest bios, and both are A520 chipsets.

Things I've tried:
Formatting at 925gb instead of 931gb
Different USB drives on different ports
Installing 7.1-2, 7.0, and even 6.4 (using dd method via Ubuntu and also Rufus on Windows 10)

Attachments

• errors.jpg
    errors.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 20
I guess I'm the only one running into this issue? Anyone have a similar build? I realize this is fairly new hardware. My only hope is for some fix in the next release. Not sure if that's 7.1-3 or 7.2. Might be something in the 5.15 kernel?

I wanted to post one last update in case anyone stumbles upon this issue.

A few more things that didn't work:
-Another bios update
-Installing Proxmox 7.2
-1TB WD Black nvme
-1TB SK hynix nvme
-using XFS instead of EXT4
-installing Proxmox over Debian
-using nvme in a PCI-e card instead of on-board slot
-numerous bios options/configurations
-adding "nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=0 pcie_aspm=off" to grub (see post below)
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/w...e-error-detected-samsung-980-m-2-nvme.108162/

I had various luck in installing proxmox, but the system would crash or go read-only in 1-2 days. (sometimes in as little as 15 minutes) My last solution was to buy a 1TB Samsung EVO 870 sata drive. Proxmox installed correctly the first time, and has been completely stable for over a week. My only thought is that there is some bug/compatibility issue with the kernel and the A520/Zen3 architecture. There are a lot of articles dealing with various APCI/ASPM issues with linux and nvme's, but nothing I could definitively fix or implement for Proxmox.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!