2.3 -> 3.0 RC2 update failed with grub rescue prompt

ZeroHour

Jul 27, 2012
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Hi
Just attempted a update to 3.0 RC2 and after the install appeared successfully I am left with a grub rescue prompt after rebooting.
I am not sure what I did wrong yet, does anyone have any suggestions/pointers?

Cheers

boot with a linux live cd and check the grub config.

Its a remote server with hetzner so looking for a minimal livecd as I have to upload it via KVM.

I should also add it stated:
"symbol not found grub_divmod64_full"

do you have followed the wiki ?:
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_2.3_to_3.0

[h=2]Minor Grub2 issue[/h]After running the upgrade, the grub menu list still shows on reboot the 1.98 grub version from Squeeze. To upgrade this to 1.99, just run:
grub-install '(hd0)'

do you have followed the wiki ?:
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_2.3_to_3.0

Minor Grub2 issue

After running the upgrade, the grub menu list still shows on reboot the 1.98 grub version from Squeeze. To upgrade this to 1.99, just run:
grub-install '(hd0)'

I did follow the wiki, got the to the reboot part but did not see that step listed down at the bottom before rebooting. It doesnt imply it would cause this?

I suspect its something to do the hetzner disk setup. I have booted up hetzners rescue disc which is based on squeeze to try and take a look but tips would be very welcome.

ZeroHour, did you manage to solve this?
I just upgraded a server at Hetzner with the same result...

Welcome to GRUB!

error: "symbol not found grub_divmod64_full"
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>

ZeroHour, did you manage to solve this?
I just upgraded a server at Hetzner with the same result...

Welcome to GRUB!

error: "symbol not found grub_divmod64_full"
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>

Yes my server is up and running 3 now.
The rescue boot in hetzner robot can allow you to repair your setup but its not automated (DO NOT USE installimage) but the recue prompt can fix it.
I am trying to track down what I did but basically I booted the 64bit rescue system, mounted the relevant local drives then reinstalled grub to the primary boot drive.
Did you do an hetzner auto build type conf too?
I did bookmark the steps I needed to take so its in my rig somewhere...

what I did but basically I booted the 64bit rescue system, mounted the relevant local drives then reinstalled grub to the primary boot drive.

I was just trying that but no success so far. Your exact steps would be very helpfull. Thank you in advance!

I Just managed to fix it too.
For further reference, these are the steps. (this is about a Hetzner dedicated server)

- Boot from the Hetzner Linux 64bit Rescue system
- mount /dev/sda3 /mnt # main partition
- mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/boot # boot partition
- mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
- mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
- mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
- chroot /mnt

Now I folowed this from step 2:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1581099

- apt-get purge grub grub-pc grub-common
- apt-get install grub-common grub-pc # (select /dev/sda)
- update-grub
- exit
- reboot

I just had one more problem after rebooting; It started the wrong kernel. It was a non-openvz kernel.
Fixed it by editing /boot/grub/grub.cfg and putting the pve kernel first on the list.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!