2.1 VNC console quit working

baboo

Nov 14, 2010
I searched the forum for this problem and found several common issues, but the solutions don't work for me. Here is my error msg:

TASK ERROR: command '/bin/nc -l -p 5900 -w 10 -c '/usr/sbin/qm vncproxy 100 2>/dev/null'' failed: exit code 1

I am using ubuntu 12.04 on desktop with jdk and jre 1.6.0_33. I run two proxmox boxes for developement purposes. One box is running 1.9 and I have no problems with vnc on it. Firefox java plugin is enabled. But I continue to not be able to connect.

The first time I used the vnc yesterday it worked. But after that no luck.

here is pveversion -v:

pve-manager: 2.1-14 (pve-manager/2.1/f32f3f46)
running kernel: 2.6.32-11-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 2.0-66
pve-kernel-2.6.32-11-pve: 2.6.32-66
lvm2: 2.02.95-1pve2
clvm: 2.02.95-1pve2
corosync-pve: 1.4.3-1
openais-pve: 1.1.4-2
libqb: 0.10.1-2
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.1.92-3
resource-agents-pve: 3.9.2-3
fence-agents-pve: 3.1.8-1
pve-cluster: 1.0-27
qemu-server: 2.0-39
pve-firmware: 1.0-18
libpve-common-perl: 1.0-30
libpve-access-control: 1.0-24
libpve-storage-perl: 2.0-31
vncterm: 1.0-3
vzctl: 3.0.30-2pve5
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.0.12-3
pve-qemu-kvm: 1.0-9
ksm-control-daemon: 1.1-1

any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks

dietmar: Hi, long time no talk. Syslog shows the above error message I posted and nothing else.

spirit: I use oracle 1.6.0_33. The link you provided was one I found and tried but to no avail.

thanks guys for replies. Any other thoughts?

I read on the forum that one individual deleted the VM and re-created and the vnc worked. So, I deleted the VM and sure enought the vnc is working. I am installing the os currently (KVM) and after its done will exit and see if vnc continues to work.

dietmar: Hi, long time no talk. Syslog shows the above error message I posted and nothing else.

spirit: I use oracle 1.6.0_33. The link you provided was one I found and tried but to no avail.

thanks guys for replies. Any other thoughts?

mmm, perhaps the java applet take too much time to connect to the vnc socket. (10s max timeout).
Do you have any java/browser popup before connecting ?

You can try to edit
/usr/share/perl5/PVE/API2/Qemu.pm
search my $timeout = 10; , change the value and restart /etc/init.d/pvedaemon restart

Also do you have any firewall between your computer and the proxmox host ? (range from tcp 5900..59XX must be open)

spirit: thanks for the reply. I think that is a pretty good suggestion. However, I was having other issues as well so I rolled back to 1.9. Now everything is working.

thanks for your help

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!