[10 GBit/s firewall] [Workstation] is proxmox for me? Is the build adequate?

2Stoned

Feb 6, 2020
Hi there

I'm planning to build a new rig that combines a couple of machines, mainly a firewall and a workstation. I plan to run the following VMs:
  • OPNsense as 24/7 firewall with 10 GBit/s on the WAN side. I'd like to have 10 GBits for the VMs as well and 1 GBit/s for internal physical connections.
  • Arch Linux as my daily workstation (mainly programming, office, browsing, mails, however some physical simulation will run from time to time) and running kodi on a TV (3 Displays in total, I think GPU passthrough for this one is the best thing to do: 2 monitors and 1 TV) with HD-audio passthrough to the receiver via HDMI.
    • running kodi as a docker image or as openELEC or libreELEC would be an option, but I need the HD-audio passthrough!
  • Windows 10 for Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat
  • Maybe a sophos XG in bridged mode, just for the fun of it
  • Additional testing VMs (openBSD, Linux distros, maybe some docker things like pyLoad)
So, I think nothing too heavy. Can I use proxmox as a host and still have the workstation with the screens, mouse, keyboard etc. attached to it? I'm fine with using the win10 VM and the testing VMs "within" Arch (virtual box like, I think it's called vnc?).

I planed to build the following rig. Will it run without issues?
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 3950X
  • Mainboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra
  • RAM: 4*Kingston ValueRAM Server Premier (1x, 16GB, DDR4-2666, DIMM 288, ECC)
  • PSU: FRACTAL Design Ion+ Platinum, 560 Watt (FD-PSU-IONP-560P-BK)
  • 10 GBit NIC: ASUS XG-C100C
  • GPU workstation: Radeon RX 5500 XT Pulse, Radeon RX 5500 XT, 8.0GB GDDR6 (passed through)
  • Do I need another GPU for the other graphical VMs?
  • Storage: 2* Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe SSD M.2, 1.0TB, 1 as parity. Or how many SSDs do I need and what kind of to have a failsafe and fast system? What is best practice?
Will I run into any problems? Should I replace something? Add something? How should I set up the storage?

Thank you very much in advance!

Please don't cross post. Thread in the german forum: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/firewall-workstation-ist-pve-das-passende.64972/

The short answer for our non-english speaking users: yes it's possible. It's also possible to run the desktop directly on Proxmox because Proxmox VE is based on Debian.

It's how we run our workstations here to develop Proxmox VE. Installed a Proxmox VE with additional packages to have a desktop environment.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!