1 VLAN per VM or is many VLANs for one VM possible??

NinthWave

Sep 27, 2021
Montreal, CANADA
Hardware
E3-1230 v3 with 16 GB RAM (upgradeable to a max of 32 GB)
2 NICs

I am trying to migrate some VMs and jails from my TrueNAS Core to a new modest Proxmox machine (to keep the NAS just beeing a NAS).

I currently have 3 subnets I need to use on the server to adress some clients
  • Native for management
  • VLAN10 for IOT
  • VLAN30 for Surveil
I want to run Docker containers for:
  • serving media files on VLAN10 = IOT
  • recording cameras on VLAN40 = SURVEIL

The Proxmox server has 2 NICs. I have used the en0 for management and made en1 VLAN aware.

From what I have read, in Proxmox, VMs are assigned to 1 VLAN. So two VLANS would need 2 VM which I'd find intensive for my 16GB RAM. I could upgrade to 32 GB if necessary.

Reading from Docker, containers can manage MACVLANS or IPVLANS and other handling.
But Docker is on top of my Debian VM so, if said single VM is assigned a single VLAN, how will it pass to each container ?

I went trough all of that 2 years ago on TrueNAS (FreeBSD) and never came back to it since in works so I am at a loss.

Thanks for your help.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!