1 NIC OPNSense laptop VLANs under LAN interface access in 1NIC Proxmox pc .

Apr 27, 2020
Hi,
I currently have a Proxmox server-pc (1 NIC) running amongst others an OPNSense VM.
In the OPNSense VM I defined a LAN with several VLANs.
In Proxmox I created a VLAN aware virtual NIC vmbr1 (the LAN) and every VLAN is attached to its own connection which is vmbr1 and a tag) I am able to make other LXCs and VM part of those VLANs. The firewall rules in the OPNSense VM allow the LXCs and VM to access the internet for updates etc.
In Proxmox vmbr0 has been defined as the actual interface to the gateway (having a static ip address.)

I want to move to a new setup.
The new setup is a dedicated 1 NIC laptop running OPNSense connected to a managed switch which is connected to the providers router.
The managed switch is also connected (via wired DecoM5's) to my other pc's and laptops.
One of these pcs is my Proxmox Server.
My question is: how to configure Proxmox so that the VLANs defined on the OPNSense laptop (under teh parent LAN interface) are known in Proxmox, so that I can add the LXCs and VMs part of the their respective VLAN. Do I have to define the VLANs in the managed switch as well? And use the same tag and untag ports for each of these VLANs?
The firewall rules in the new OPNSense laptop are comparable to the ones in the old OPNSense VM.
Should something be added in order to allow the LXCs and VM to access the internet for updates etc?
Thanks for your support,
John.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!