“Took Too Long to Respond”

ParmesanPopcorn24

Oct 25, 2022
As much as I’m mostly new to this…..

Been severely struggling with how to get the server up and running properly whenever I go to another computer and entering it on the web browser. It never seems to work out at all whatsoever regardless of which IP I used.

It sounds like either the network configuration on your PVE is not set up correctly or something in the network might be blocking your access.

Can your PVE connect to the internet?
Which IP address did you assign it on install and what is your network setup?
When connecting, please make sure to prefix the IP and port with https:// if you are not doing that already. (Shouldn't be the concrete problem here but does cause problems sometimes)

It sounds like either the network configuration on your PVE is not set up correctly or something in the network might be blocking your access.

Can your PVE connect to the internet?
Which IP address did you assign it on install and what is your network setup?
When connecting, please make sure to prefix the IP and port with https:// if you are not doing that already. (Shouldn't be the concrete problem here but does cause problems sometimes)

Management Interface: enp2s0
IP CIDR: 192.168.100.2/24
Gateway: 192.168.100.1
DNS: 127.0.0.1

The network configuration like that looks alright, as far as I can tell.

Did you verify, whether your PVE can connect to other machines on the network?
I.e. Can you ping your gateway? Can you ping your PVE host from that other machine you mentioned?

Did you verify, whether your PVE can connect to other machines on the network?
I.e. Can you ping your gateway? Can you ping your PVE host from that other machine you mentioned?

I’m very sorry, but I’m not even sure how that actually works.

May you explain how I can verify and ping?

In essence, very simple actually:

On your PVE machine:
  • Try to ping your gateway 192.168.100.1
  • Try to ping something outside your network ping 8.8.8.8 (Google)
On the other computer
  • Ping your PVE ping 192.168.100.2

I had pinged from that exact IP given and it says “from”, and “Destination Host Unreachable”.

When I ping from the other computer, it will say “request timed out”.

In conclusion after testing Google’s DNS, how can PVEs be able to connect to other networks?

Last edited:
I had pinged from that exact IP given and it says “from”, and “Destination Host Unreachable”.
Which one? (From the PVE host to another device on your network?)

When I ping from the other computer, it will say “request timed out”.
It sounds like your PVE's network configuration might not be set up correctly. Please issue ip a on the PVE system and post this here together with the output from cat /etc/network/interfaces

In conclusion after testing Google’s DNS
Could you please elaborate on "after testing Google's DNS"?

(All of the above assumes that other devices on your network generally can access the internet)

Which one? (From the PVE host to another device on your network?)

It sounds like your PVE's network configuration might not be set up correctly. Please issue ip a on the PVE system and post this here together with the output from cat /etc/network/interfaces

Could you please elaborate on "after testing Google's DNS"?

(All of the above assumes that other devices on your network generally can access the internet)
1 & 3 - Says that when pinging both.

2 -

Address: 192.168.100.2/24
Gateway: 192.168.100.1

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!