API to backup a host or folder?

Mirmanium

Aug 14, 2020
Hi community,

Do we have any API available within PVE or PBS to backup not a VM/LXC but a host/folder instead? I know it exist cli proxmox-backup-client who can perform this action but didn't found anything about API available. Do we have any?

Thank you,

Do we have any API available within PVE or PBS to backup not a VM/LXC but a host/folder instead? I know it exist cli proxmox-backup-client who can perform this action but didn't found anything about API available. Do we have any?

No, there is no such API. What are you trying to achieve? :)

I have a flow to backup different physical and virtual servers in a sequential way (not using cron). All processes control that pve and pbs tasks are finished before proceed with next one. This way I avoid potential concurrent backup processes which kills performances of disks (with cron you can not ensure 100% a previous process is finished). Somehow is kind of backup orchestrator.
I am using only APIs because of granulated permissions to the different Servers and VMs. At VMs/LXC level everything is properly set up but lacking some additional ones at folder level, that's why was asking if API already exists (btw, is there any plan to include it?).
I will need to figure out how to backup folder then (ssh execution, cron,... any other idea?)

you can just wrap the client invocation in whatever API you want ;) or drive it directly over ssh/timers/cron jobs/systemd services/..

you can just wrap the client invocation in whatever API you want ;) or drive it directly over ssh/timers/cron jobs/systemd services/..
What you mean to say with wrap the client invocation? don't get is sorry. Could you put me an example?

Thank you,

write an API server that exposes the API you want and calls the proxmox-backup-client executable like you want. this is specific to your use case and environment..

Ok I see your point now :)
Unfortunately I have zero knowledge on how to create an API and expose it. I need to think a bit next steps here.
Thank you!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!