USB ports change on host restart

larsen

Feb 28, 2020
Hi,

we are running Proxmox 7.1 on a Dell PowerEdge C6100. One VM has assigned the two USB ports for use with dongles (AKS Hardlock and Kobil Systems Smart Token). This works without problems until I restart the server.

The setting used to be "host=2-1" and "host=2-2". After a restart, I had to change it to "host=1-1" and "host=1-2". On the next restart (several weeks later), this again changed (back to 2-1 and 2-2). The Kobil Systems Smart Token also had to be pulled our and put in again to be recognized by Proxmox.

Having "Use USB port" and "USB3" is checked (default, certainly not necessary for these dongles).
I will try out using "Use USB Vendor/Device ID" next, but will have to wait for the next mandatory restart.

Any idea why this is happening?

Lars

Hi Larsen,

Have You figured out why this was happening? It started doing this to my proxmox server couple weeks ago. It happens intermittently.

Code:
root@andrzejl:~# pveversion
pve-manager/8.1.4/ec5affc9e41f1d79 (running kernel: 6.5.13-1-pve)
root@andrzejl:~# lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Debian
Description:    Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)
Release:        12
Codename:       bookworm
root@andrzejl:~#

Cheers.

Andrzej

Last edited:
No, I didn't. But after switching to "Use USB Vendor/Device ID", the problem didn't show up again, afair.

No, I didn't. But after switching to "Use USB Vendor/Device ID", the problem didn't show up again, afair.

Thank You, I am familiar with this method and I will use it however it will make my life slightly more difficult.

Kindest regards.

Andrzej

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!