NVMe to SATA

ventsi34

Jan 30, 2024
Hi, I've decided to create a home server from my old Dell Optiplex 7040 mff. I need to have a couple of HDDs (2x2TB, 2x4TB) and 2xSSD for boot and backup of this boot SSD. But I have only one SATA port on the motherboard and one NVMe that's why I bought this:

PXL_20240130_171406995 (1).jpg

When I connect this to my Windows PC it works and can work with the HDDs that are connected to it, but when I try to plug it into my Dell where I have Proxmox installed the HDDs are now available when I check in the console with commands like: lsblk.

The disks are in NTFS file system and I've added a package called
Code:
ntfs-3g
but again I can not see the disks. The idea is to mount the disks and change the format to ZFS.

How I can resolve my problem and why I can't see my disks in Proxmox? Can you suggest me something?

No, I see only the bootable SSD that is connected as SATA port directly to the motherboard

Hi,

so in lsblk the disks are visible? Can you please post the complete output of lsblk -f -o +MODEL,VENDOR,TYPE?

maybe on your desktop it's m2/pciexpress and on the Dell Optiplex 7040 mff it's a m2/Sata.

if it's a m2/sata, not compatible with the m2 card you have.

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1920845-installing-an-m2-ssd-into-an-optiplex-7040

Code:
I can confirm that the Optiplex 7040 is compatible with B+M keyed M.2 SATA SSDs.

Are you sure that this is the same for mff PCs? Because these images are from my PC. I think that I have one M2/PCIe fot the network card and one M2/NVMe.

PXL_1 (1).jpeg

PXL_2 (1).jpeg

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!