[SOLVED] Chrony Apparmor problem

cstreutjes

Mar 26, 2023
Hello,

I have installed Proxmox Backup Server on top of Debian. It run nicely.

But Chrony for NTP synchronization won't start because of AppArmor:

The unit chrony.service has entered the 'failed' state with result 'exit-code'.

audit[36381]: AVC apparmor="DENIED" operation="create" profile="/usr/sbin/chronyd" pid=36381 comm="chronyd" family="unix" sock_type="stream" protocol=0 requested_mask="create" denied_mask="create" addr=none

kernel: [B]audit: type=1400 audit(1679848187.998:306): apparmor="DENIED" operation="create" profile="/usr/sbin/chronyd" pid=36381 comm="chronyd" family="unix" sock_type="stream" protocol=0 requested_mask="create" denied_mask="create" addr=none[/B]

When I delete the Chrony profile in AppArmor it starts normally. But with the AppArmor profile I get a lot of errors.

I compare the AppArmor Chrony profile with another Proxmox server (where Chrony runs normal, and AppArmor also), it is exactly the same...

When I run aa-status I get:
apparmor module is loaded. 8 profiles are loaded. 8 profiles are in enforce mode. /usr/bin/man /usr/sbin/chronyd lsb_release man_filter man_groff nvidia_modprobe nvidia_modprobe//kmod tcpdump 0 profiles are in complain mode. 0 processes have profiles defined. 0 processes are in enforce mode. 0 processes are in complain mode. 0 processes are unconfined but have a profile defined.

So, what can I do? Is the AppArmor profile needed for Chrony? Is it safe to run Chrony without the Chrony profile in AppArmor?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I replace Chrony by systemd-timesyncd because my Proxmox Backup Server is a stand-alone off-site server. I don't need a NTP server, only client. systemd-timesyncd is perfect for me.

systemd-timesyncd works fine and the server is synchronized again :)

in :
https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4576
there was written trick in comment:
I noticed that "dpkg-reconfigure apparmor" would make it work, so I dug into https://salsa.debian.org/apparmor-team/apparmor/-/blob/debian/2.13.6-10/debian/apparmor.postinst and found out what commands actually trigger the behaviour change.
* the mtime of "/etc/apparmor.d/tunables/home.d/ubuntu" needs to be updated (probably required to make AppArmor think that something changed)
* profiles must be reloaded with "apparmor_parser --write-cache --replace -- /etc/apparmor.d"
and I tested on my instalation and it is working !

I had to change /etc/default/chrony to fix it

cat /etc/default/chrony
# This is a configuration file for /etc/init.d/chrony and
# /lib/systemd/system/chrony.service; it allows you to pass various options to
# the chrony daemon without editing the init script or service file.

# Options to pass to chrony.
DAEMON_OPTS=""
https://forum.openmediavault.org/in...and-chrony-services-failed-to-start/&pageNo=4

update... after doing this .. I thing there is no option to check chrony

="create" profile="/usr/sbin/chronyd" pid=4260 comm="chronyd" family="unix" sock_type="dgram" protocol=0 requested_mask="create" denied_mask="create" addr=none
[ 9653.644336] audit: type=1400 audit(1704897515.227:278): apparmor="DENIED" operation="create" profile="/usr/sbin/chronyd" pid=4260 comm="chronyd" family="inet6" sock_type="dgram" protocol=0 requested_mask="create" denied_mask="create"
[ 9653.647474] audit: type=1400 audit(1704897515.227:279): apparmor="DENIED" operation="create" profile="/usr/sbin/chronyd" pid=4260 comm="chronyd" family="unix" sock_type="dgram" protocol=0 requested_mask="create" denied_mask="create" addr=none
root@cs-c-11:~#
root@cs-c-11:~# chronyc sources
506 Cannot talk to daemon

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!