[SOLVED] PVE Backup server hangs on boot

Offf256

Feb 18, 2014
I have PVE host that I want to back up and Synology NAS server to back up to.
Installed virtual machine manager downloaded latest PVE backup server. Installed with no prob.
First boot hangs there
1666940427359.png

can you check whether it's just the output that stopped at that point (i.e., can you ping the host on the expected IP address? or access the web interface at port 8007?) - if not, you could (temporarily) remove the 'quiet' parameter from the kernel command line and see if it outputs more..

Reactions: Offf256
OMG. So ashamed now. Made a really n00b stupid mistake! This thing tried to initilize framebuffer and this (of course?!?) would not work on Synology Virtualization (QEMU). It actually worked, just no console output! Switched to vga and no I have console also.
To my excuse - this VM is on remote network and I have no other means to access than diskstation:5001 (no console, no ssh, not even ping).

Reactions: trooster and fabian
OMG. So ashamed now. Made a really n00b stupid mistake! This thing tried to initilize framebuffer and this (of course?!?) would not work on Synology Virtualization (QEMU). It actually worked, just no console output! Switched to vga and no I have console also.
To my excuse - this VM is on remote network and I have no other means to access than diskstation:5001 (no console, no ssh, not even ping).
I'm having this EXACT problem. Could you please elaborate on the fix?

I'm having this EXACT problem. Could you please elaborate on the fix?
The PBS actually ran. Console "froze" at the moment when linux kernel switched from std. VGA text to framebuffer. On Synology virtual machine manager I changed "vmvga" to "vga". This device reports no framebuffer capability so I was able to see te boot log and get login console.
It is always worth checking if web service on "freezed" machine actually answers but of course it is always good option to have some sort of console as backup. So, if you using VM try to change video card emulation options until you find working one. The older, plainer and more "standard" the better.

Reactions: lagreca

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!