[SOLVED] Proxmox and Kiwi syslog

khampol

Sep 6, 2021
Hello,

For my homelab I try to send my logs to Kiwi. I dont see where I can set this? In "System>syslog" there is no setting for this.
(eg. On pfsense it works great after set.) Any ideas please ...?

pve does not have built-in support for kiwi. but i would check their documentation for normal linux installations on how to do that

Proxmox dont have a "normal" email notification. Now it confirm that dont have option to send log to remote server. well well not easy the proxmox.... :rolleyes:
but i would check their documentation for normal linux installations on how to do that
What do you mean by this ?

BTW I find this post (old 2009!)

Just enter the IP (or resolvable name) of your syslog server here:
Configuration/System/Reports - Syslog Server
This option Proxmox remove it ?? ( D'oh! )

Last edited:
Proxmox dont have a "normal" email notification.
what do you mean?

Now it confirm that dont have option to send log to remote server.
i did not say that, i said pve has no support for kiwi (honestly i do not know it)

What do you mean by this ?
that Proxmox is a (mostly) standard debian linux underneath, so you can do most things you can do with a normal debian linux installation

if you want remote syslog, check the relevant debian documentation: https://wiki.debian.org/Rsyslog

Is there a simple settings to send log to remote syslog ? (I mean by a graphic setting in Proxmox.)
no

Yes already. Looks complicate....
not more complicated than any other regular linux administration task

remote syslog is not a common request, thus there is no gui/configuration for it, but as i already pointed out, nothing is stopping you from setting it up

And please what would you recommend for monitor Proxmox ?
this depends on your needs, built in are exports for graphite/influxdb. for some this is enough, but you can ofc install any linux monitoring solution (icinga,nagios,zabbix,....)

Ok use this infos here (for Proxmox-ve_7.0-2)

"We need to configure rsyslog to accept incoming log messages from other hosts. We’ll need to edit the file /etc/rsyslog.conf to achieve this. We’ll uncomment the four lines below to enable both TCP and UDP"

Code:
# provides UDP syslog reception
module(load="imudp")
input(type="imudp" port="514")

# provides TCP syslog reception
module(load="imtcp")
input(type="imtcp" port="514")

Then below I add this to make it send to IP of your Kiwi Syslog server

Code:
*.* @192.xx.xx.xx:514

Dont forget to restart Rsyslog

Code:
sudo systemctl restart rsyslog

After this you see logs from Proxmox in Kiwi and thats geat :)

Et voila!
Job done.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!