Is it possible to manage non-proxmox hypers

rong.zhao

May 4, 2019
Hi,
I am really a newbie on proxmox, recently, I am evaluating virtualization management platform for my team.

We have about 1000 hypervisors, more than 10000 virtual machines. They are based on KVM, what I want to do is migrating them into a good virtualization platform, such as openstack, proxmox.

Openstack is doable, but it is too heavy to move, proxmox looks lightweight, and I downloaded proxmox5.4.1, and installed to try.

However, not sure if I have misunderstanding, I found only proxmox node can only join proxmox, I want to know if it is possible to manage other nodes without running proxmox on that hyper? Because I cannot re-install OS of all hypers..

I have read document, cannot find any clue.

Do you have any suggestion? Or correct me if I am not in right direction.

Thanks in advance.

sorry, it's not possible. you can only manage proxmox nodes in a proxmox cluster.

(proxmox don't even use libvirt, so you need to recreate config file, rename disks to proxmox format).

(maybe try opennebula, I think it's possible to only use it as a management tool)

sorry, it's not possible. you can only manage proxmox nodes in a proxmox cluster.

(proxmox don't even use libvirt, so you need to recreate config file, rename disks to proxmox format).

(maybe try opennebula, I think it's possible to only use it as a management tool)

Thank you very much for confirming.

Thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!