Proxmox on 32bit

dommo0815

Jun 5, 2008
Hello,

first I have to thank you for this very well distro!
It runs very stable from the startup. I want to ask if it is planned or if there is a HowTo for setting up a 32bit based Proxmox-PVE.
I have some older 32bit servers and they are fast enough and have enough RAM to run many VEs. I won't miss the nice web based GUI.

Thanks.

Thomas

The i386 32 bit architecture has various restrictions we don't want to deal with - we will not support it.

- Dietmar

Limitations like no Intel VT or AMD-V virtualization instruction sets, limitation of about 3GB of RAM...

Most restricting is that low-memory area: "Because of specifics of architecture of Intel's x86 processors, the RAM of the computer can't be used uniformly. The most important memory area is so called “low memory”, a part of memory residing at lower addresses and directly accessible by the kernel. For current Linux kernels, the size of low memory area is 832MB"

- Dietmar

Hello,

first I have to thank you for this very well distro!
It runs very stable from the startup. I want to ask if it is planned or if there is a HowTo for setting up a 32bit based Proxmox-PVE.
I have some older 32bit servers and they are fast enough and have enough RAM to run many VEs. I won't miss the nice web based GUI.

Thanks.

Thomas

My suggestion is you install Ubuntu Server with OpenVZ from the Ubuntu repositories. Then at least you can run container VMs on them. Unfortunately ProxMox is 64-bit only.

Any way ProxMox can add Ubuntu Server OpenVZ host systems to a management cluster? That would seem to solve the problem for the most part.

Any way ProxMox can add Ubuntu Server OpenVZ host systems to a management cluster? That would seem to solve the problem for the most part.
How do you do that? And would it be possible to use Debian/Etch or Debian/Lenny.

For my company it is not an option to throw away servers without 64 bit support. Even thou it would make me happy to change a couple of hundred 2U boxses with 1U ones(cramped serverrooms).....

How do you do that? And would it be possible to use Debian/Etch or Debian/Lenny.

For my company it is not an option to throw away servers without 64 bit support. Even thou it would make me happy to change a couple of hundred 2U boxses with 1U ones(cramped serverrooms).....

If I tell to my boss throw away all the 32bits servers, he will throw ME away! :(
Seens funy, but in fact it's not funny :p

Is it possible to have an "unsupported" version of proxmox for 32bits? Or at least an manager for "insert your preferred distro here" that allows a 32bit server to join the cluster?

I know that I wouldnt be able to use KVM, but at least OpenVZ would be great....

Guys,

This topic has been discussed a lot in this forum (please search for it).

Proxmox will not support 32-bits.

Proxmox is not only a GUI for OpenVZ is a complete solution for server virtualization. Hardware with 64bits support is a requirement.

If you want to keep and use your non 64bits servers, I am afraid you will have to find another solution.

You can try with vtonf (http://www.wiki.vtonf.com/index.php?id=13). I never used it but seems be what you are looking for and seems to not require 64-bit hardware support.

Regards,
chopeta

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!