nfs mount for disks

immo

Renowned Member
Nov 20, 2014
Are there any mount proposals for a NFS share ?
all disk images stored on a NFS share

mount says about the current mount:
10.0.10.254:/export/Storage on /mnt/pve/Storage type nfs (rw,relatime,vers=3,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576,namlen=255,hard,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,mountaddr=10.0.10.254,mountvers=3,mountport=60812,mountproto=udp,local_lock=none,addr=10.160.249.254).

which looks ok too me and the vm image mount settings are default (no cache)

sure and we do have a working setup but the feeling is that it is quite slow and doesnt use the performance our storage solution is able to provide

no no real benchmark. Its just a comparison with a local disk (pure SATA-HDD no SSD) based virtual box during a docker container installation.

Our Setup is a Dell Server with 10G Link to a Oracle Storage ZS3-2, I expect much more than just 30MBit/s.

But ok. Which tool would be good to test the r/w performance.

So I did some bonnie++ compare.
1ysw9zb.jpg

so vmware has much more random iops than kvm (random seeks and less CPU load)
and vmware isnt touched at all just straight forward.

both run with 4GB RAM and VirtIO Disk driver

proxmox vm runs with harddrive writeback unsafe setting

you benchmark NFS here? seems you use nfs v3 on Proxmox VE? try with v4 and follow the recommended (custom?) NFS mount options needed for your network and nfs server.

The recommendation from oracle is nfs v3 cos this lightweight nfs. this is also shown in benchmarks too. AND VMware also runs with nfsv3

and it doesnt seem to be a kvm issue.
Cos the proxHost measureresult is:
4663 IOPS (Random Seeks)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!