USB Install with 3.1 locks up and no cdrom found

mhoneycutt

Feb 18, 2014
Hello Everyone, I'm new at trying to install Proxmox. I am trying to install 3.1 directly from a USB thumb drive in a USB 2.0 slot. I'm sorry if this is a repost but I have yet to find anyone with this issue using 3.1 yet.

The first time I tried to install I boot to the USB and saw the Proxmox splash screen, hit enter and it went to the Booting screen and just sat there and seemed to lock up.

So the next time I boot up I see the Proxmox splash screen, and then type "debug" and enter. It goes through its loading and then gives me the No cd rom found issue, and a console prompt.

At that point I would try to mount the USB iso like some sites out on the web say to do at that point but when I get to the console prompt it does not allow me to type...
I've search and read a lot of issues prior to Proxmox 2.0 with usb install but since then it seems like things have worked them selves out. I followed the instructions on the wiki and used Suse Image Writer to put the renamed iso (iso -> raw) on the thumbdrive.

Does it sound like I am missing a step somewhere here?

I've tried loading ESXi host on the same machine and loading Proxmox on a VM with the iso mounted, and Proxmox installed within less than 5 minutes. So I am a little confused at this point.

Thank you, and any help is appreciated...

works here.

- check your bios
- do other USB installations works?

Hi Tom'
Thanks for the response!
As far as other usb installations...are you referring to other linux distributions? Or other operating systems in general? on this machine I have successfully before installed windows 7 from usb and then also ESXi host from usb so I know that portion is working.

As far as the bios is there something else specific to Proxmox should be looking for?
The thing that confuses me most is when the console prompt finally comes up after the error the keyboard does not work. I can't even type Ctrl+D to restart.

I will try to get some pics of what I'm seeing and post them to maybe help....

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Well I thought I would try to give a report to where I'm at if someone else runs into this issue with this board.

I am currently Running the Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 board. And I had issues ranging from usb keyboard and mouse not working to not being able to boot from usb, to boot loader problems.

For the usb booting/install issue, upgrading the BIOS firmware did the trick.

Also, for what ever reason I practically stumbled on this but there are TWO IOMMU settings in the BIOS on this board. 1. General Enable/Disable and 2. an Option labeled...."IOMMU Mode" and the options are "Disabled/64mb" if I had this second option disabled the USB keyboard and mouse magically started to be enumerated and usable! NO IDEA why this would make a difference but that's what did it.

For the boot loader issue ("unable to install bootloader") I simply had to disconnect my other drives during install and then reinstall them after install completed.

Overall a learning experience but just thought I would add what I found thanks!!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!