What is the Right Way™ to backup to FreeNAS (preferably iSCSI)?

starkruzr

Is anyone doing this already? I've just stood up a FreeNAS instance on an old machine I have lying around for backups and would like to add it as a backup storage target for my Proxmox host. I can't figure out what it wants for NFS -- it all seems fairly straightforward to add it and then just tells me that the NFS mount is not online. Adding an iSCSI storage mount doesn't ask me what kind of content I want to put into the storage volume. Ideas?

I'm on the latest 9.1 release of FreeNAS and Proxmox 4.0-57.

Thanks.

i use freenas at home as a backup target for my proxmox machine,

you have to make sure that the permissions are ok
and i had to set the nfs option "mapall" to the user which owns the directory in freenas

I am using NFS with FreeNAS as well. Its probably a permissions issue or you marked the storage as allowing 0 backups.

My backups run on a schedule every Saturday night and keeps the last 7 good backups of each VM. Been running like that for over a year now with no issues.

I am using NFS with FreeNAS for the backup schedule and it works well.

I think your problem is related to the reverse DNS lookup done by NFS.
Found on a forum: During the mount process, NFS apparently does a reverse DNS lookup to see if the address is valid.

You have to add information about the hosts Proxmox, in your /etc/hosts of FreeNAS.

You can do it in the gui like this: Network -> Global Configuration -> Host name data base ......

FreeNAS_config.png

Christian

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!