[SOLVED] Services not starting with LXC? (custom images)

Nov 4, 2014
I was looking for an easy way to create custom LXC images, and I found one: LXD + export.

The problem I am having is that services are not starting when I start the container, at least that's what it seems like to me.

I tried to do the following:
  1. 1. Used LCD on local machine and created a Xenial image.
  2. 2. Entered bash in the container, installed a package and added a user.
  3. 3. Used LXD image export to create a tarball.
  4. 4. Unpacked the rootfs from the tarball, and made it a tarball.

What I'm left with then is a tarball that should be usable, but when I try to use it the following happens:
  1. 1. Importing and creation of container works.
  2. 2. I can enter it by using pct enter command, but not with SSH or the web console.
  3. 3. ifconfig returns nothing.

Conclusion: Services seems to not be starting(?)

Services shown in top in the container when using pct enter:
  • init
  • plymouthd
  • plymouth-upstar
  • mountall
  • bash
Using: service networking start and service ssh start I get network and SSH, and both are working.

According to the awesome Stéphane Graber, this is a way to create custom LXC images that should function like normal images.

Is this a known problem? Is it possible to fix?

Reactions: fireon
Uhm, well by reading this now I realize I really screwed up and somehow manged to remove systemd and replace it with sysvinit.

*Embarrassed*:rolleyes:

The method seems to be somewhat working, but the old IP sticks.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!