Install on Soft Raid

I've install Proxmox 3 using software RAID (Proxmox 3 doesn't support BIOS RAID) for more than 100 Servers. It's better rather than no RAID at all and I don't have any performance or battery backup issue.

Since Linux kernel support RAID even motherboard support RAID, then I think Proxmox should leave this part. Let BIOS RAID run and acceptable by Proxmox like Windows, Debian, RHEL and others. It's users decision to use S/W RAID, FAKE RAID, BIOS RAID, or H/W RAID, even no RAID!

I've install Proxmox 3 using software RAID (Proxmox 3 doesn't support BIOS RAID) for more than 100 Servers. It's better rather than no RAID at all and I don't have any performance or battery backup issue.

Since Linux kernel support RAID even motherboard support RAID, then I think Proxmox should leave this part. Let BIOS RAID run and acceptable by Proxmox like Windows, Debian, RHEL and others. It's users decision to use S/W RAID, FAKE RAID, BIOS RAID, or H/W RAID, even no RAID!

That sounds quite impressive. We have managed to install using software RAID as well. Performance is OK for us although I didn't compare it using hardware raid and BBU. Did you follow the 'install proxmox on software raid how to' or did you create your own way of installing proxmox on a software raid? Just curious...

In new version of proxmox its meen 2.4 and higher soft raid does not working but ....
If we have got 3 disk drives for example one - ssd, and two usualy do somthing like this: install proxmox server on ssd, install webmin and now make with webmin soft raid on rest of disks, next ...
create symbolic link to /var/lib/vz from our raid.
Disk SSD is very good option for this.

In new version of proxmox its meen 2.4 and higher soft raid does not working but ....

Just to avoid misunderstanding:

S/W RAID is still working on Proxmox 3.x, but it didn't supported OFFICIALLY by Proxmox Server Solutions GmbH (the creator of Proxmox). There are many companies/persons support the S/W Raid.

You can use this guide https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Software_RAID which has been proven successfully.

That sounds quite impressive. We have managed to install using software RAID as well. Performance is OK for us although I didn't compare it using hardware raid and BBU. Did you follow the 'install proxmox on software raid how to' or did you create your own way of installing proxmox on a software raid? Just curious...
S/W RAID HOW TO:
- I follow this guide for Promox 3.x https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Software_RAID.

S/W RAID PERFORMANCE:
Frankly I doubt about S/W Raid performance but I see there's no significant different. Also, I found these interesting stuff:
- On Xeon 1245v2 3.4 GHz + DDR3 32 GB + S/W Raid faster then AMD A8-5600K 3.6 GHZ + DDR3 32 GB + H/W Raid
- Replace faulty disk is not difficult and you can do it without enter to BIOS RAID (mean no need to restart Server)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!