SPICE for Proxmox VE (pvetest)

martin

Proxmox Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 28, 2005
We just uploaded new packages to enable the use of SPICE on Proxmox VE. I already love it and I use it every day!
In order to test it, you need to use the pvetest repository.

For more details, see:
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/SPICE

A big Thank-you to our active community for all feedback, testing, bug reporting and patch submissions.

Martin Maurer
Proxmox VE project leader

Would love to test but I have some problems:
a) seems you require a pretty new version of virt-viewer (I will have at home where I use Debian Sid, not at work where I use Kubuntu 12.04), is 0.4.2-1 "good enough" (maybe limited functionality) or works only with latest?
b) how do I run that client? virt-viewer seems to require "an hypervisor", and virt-viewer -c myproxmoxIP just does not work, and I've not idea about "DOMAIN-NAME|ID|UUID" option
c) does spice-client-gtk works as well? (if so, how to?)

Finally, there are a couple syntax errors in this commit:
https://git.proxmox.com/?p=qemu-ser...;hpb=eba883bee0dcf11bbbd75e37bfbb27e3c41d86d8
"positioning with VNC. Else " -> "positioning with VNC otherwise "
"This is turned of by" -> "This is turned off by"

Last but not least, thanks a lot for your great work!

I just updated my test system here to try out the Spice stuff, and I'm impressed! It's way better than VNC.
I have a few questions - you have to install the virt-viewer (well at least on Windows) and it seems that from the browser, a file is downloaded that must be passed to the viewer on the command line. Let's say I want to run the viewer on it's own - ie not from the web interface. When you start the viewer, it asks for a URL. What is the format of this URL?

I do the the updated

I have a lot of problems, pb with the local storage, sheepdog storage and ceph-cluster :) the total.

Itry to create a new vm, i have the message : pb with the storage...
I'll turn off all machines and I'll restart.
thank's

This is great news, thank you PVE team!

I don't know when I'll test/use this since I have no suitable test node, atm, but I can't wait to see where this enhancement will bring PVE (VDI use case ?) in the future, along with all the wonderful features...

Marco

If you click on the "spice" button, a file will be downloaded. Just configure your OS to (always( open this file with virt-viewer.

Very important, you need at least virt-viewer 0.5.6 - as outlined in the wiki, see http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/SPICE#SPICE_client - e.g. the already packaged version for Debian are too old.

I answer myself to question b) and c)
You don't have to run the spice client stand alone, once you enable spice in the client, Proxmox web interface shows a "spice" button near the "console" one. I was not yet able to make it work, but I'm sure I'm on the right track ;P

I use Windows XP 32bit
VM is Win2003(have not install windows guest tools )

View attachment 1570

Spice client for windows seem not stable :(
Everything else is OK now. :D

I'm running the viewer in virt-viewer-x64-0.5.6.msi and it works OK. I did look in the bin directory, and there is a windows-cmdline-wrapper.exe in there. If I run it on it's own, I get an error saying that it has asked the run time to terminate it. You can see where the error is in the command prompt that you see - it's in a string compare -
strncmp(name + len, "com",4) == 0

I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that you seem to be running a non-english version of Windows? Maybe there is a unicode character somewhere that the string compare is failing on? Just a thought.

I rebooted my server and everything works again.
The SPICE protocol does not work correctly with FIREFOX

Message : Impossible d'établir la connexion au serveur d'affichage /tmp/spiceproxy

While with chromium it works very well.

Thank's

I rebooted my server and everything works again.
The SPICE protocol does not work correctly with FIREFOX

Message : Impossible d'établir la connexion au serveur d'affichage /tmp/spiceproxy

While with chromium it works very well.

Thank's

Oh - that's odd, as I'm using Firefox ...

I'm running the viewer in virt-viewer-x64-0.5.6.msi and it works OK. I did look in the bin directory, and there is a windows-cmdline-wrapper.exe in there. If I run it on it's own, I get an error saying that it has asked the run time to terminate it. You can see where the error is in the command prompt that you see - it's in a string compare -
strncmp(name + len, "com",4) == 0

I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that you seem to be running a non-english version of Windows? Maybe there is a unicode character somewhere that the string compare is failing on? Just a thought.

Yes. I use Simplified Chinese version WinXP .

I have an error when I try to connect with another node.

Unable to connect to the graphic server C:\Users\Ivensiya\Downloads\spiceproxy.vv

when connect with the VM is on the same node, all is well

firefox/chrome

Last edited:
I get: "Cannot find guest domain /var/tmp/spiceproxy"
Running Fedora-Live-Desktop-x86_64-19-1 & Firefox.
VM is Ubuntu 12.04.

edit: it's ok with windows client.

Great job and thanks!

Last edited:
Let's say I want to run the viewer on it's own - ie not from the web interface. When you start the viewer, it asks for a URL. What is the format of this URL?

That is not implemented currently, so you cannot do that. Maybe I will implement that later.

Would love to test but I have some problems:
a) seems you require a pretty new version of virt-viewer (I will have at home where I use Debian Sid, not at work where I use Kubuntu 12.04), is 0.4.2-1 "good enough" (maybe limited functionality) or works only with latest?
b) how do I run that client? virt-viewer seems to require "an hypervisor", and virt-viewer -c myproxmoxIP just does not work, and I've not idea about "DOMAIN-NAME|ID|UUID" option
c) does spice-client-gtk works as well? (if so, how to?)

Finally, there are a couple syntax errors in this commit:
https://git.proxmox.com/?p=qemu-ser...;hpb=eba883bee0dcf11bbbd75e37bfbb27e3c41d86d8
"positioning with VNC. Else " -> "positioning with VNC otherwise "
"This is turned of by" -> "This is turned off by"

Last but not least, thanks a lot for your great work!

You need virt-viewer 0.5.5 minimum to be able to use the spice proxy. (0.5.6 is better)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!