VZ Container Failover and Migration with ISCSI

thesubmitter

Jun 5, 2012
I have 4 ProxMox Servers

1. Each of them has a different LUN of 100GB mounted to /data/containers
2. Each of them hosts different containers
3. In the event of migration, I use the regular method and there is an ISCSI --> HOST --> ISCSI Data transfer (which is not optimal but works)

4. In the event of the failure (total explosion) of one of my HW Nodes, I just relocate the corresponding config files from /etc/pve/nodes/FAILEDHOST/openvz/1xx.conf TO /etc/pve/nodes/LIVEHOST/openvz/1xx.conf and start up the containers.

5. Optionally, if I want to restart all the down containers on the SAME BACKUP HW NODE then I can create a NEW LOCAL DIRECTORY TYPE STORAGE DEVICE---> corresponding to the same ISCSI LUN on a new mountpoint say /data/containers2
and then also edit the *.conf files switching out the storage names.

Is anything missing here? I have tested it and it seems to work....

No, only in the case of failure i might create a new storage entry on one of the alive servers and mount the failed servers LUN there and modify the container conf files to point to that new container.

I left out the part where I copy the data from the failed server LUN to another LUN mounted by a living server. I added it below

I have 4 ProxMox Servers

1. Each of them has a different LUN of 100GB mounted to /data/containers
2. Each of them hosts different containers
3. In the event of migration, I use the regular method and there is an ISCSI --> HOST --> ISCSI Data transfer (which is not optimal but works)

4. In the event of the failure (total explosion) of one of my HW Nodes, I just relocate the corresponding config files from /etc/pve/nodes/FAILEDHOST/openvz/1xx.conf TO /etc/pve/nodes/LIVEHOST/openvz/1xx.conf and start up the containers AND I manually copy the /private content for that container to the server where I will be restarting it

5. Optionally, if I want to restart all the down containers on the SAME BACKUP HW NODE then I can create a NEW LOCAL DIRECTORY TYPE STORAGE DEVICE---> corresponding to the same ISCSI LUN on a new mountpoint say /data/containers2
and then also edit the *.conf files switching out the storage names.

Is anything missing here? I have tested it and it seems to work....

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!