Change storage name in vzdump

spamsam

Jul 5, 2017
I am getting the following 'failed: storage 'backup' does not exist' error when trying to restore a vzdump from another server to my proxmox instance. Moved it from proxmox 6 to 7.

All i want to know is how can i change the storage name in the VMA file from 'backup' to 'local-lvm'?

I tried this manually by extracting the file using the vma command from the commandline, changing the qemy-server.conf file and running 'vma create'. BUT that dit not work. If i try to restore the resulting file all i get is 'ERROR: couldn't determine archive info from '/var/lib/vz/dump/xxxxxxxxxxx.vma' (500)'

Any advise would be appreciated.

FULL ERROR BELOW:
restore vma archive: lzop -d -c /var/lib/vz/dump/vzdump-qemu-208-2022_11_19-16_44_47.vma.lzo | vma extract -v -r /var/tmp/vzdumptmp4009962.fifo - /var/tmp/vzdumptmp4009962
CFG: size: 420 name: qemu-server.conf
CFG: size: 157 name: qemu-server.fw
DEV: dev_id=1 size: 59055800320 devname: drive-scsi0
CTIME: Sat Nov 19 16:44:48 2022
error before or during data restore, some or all disks were not completely restored. VM 105 state is NOT cleaned up.
TASK ERROR: command 'set -o pipefail && lzop -d -c /var/lib/vz/dump/vzdump-qemu-208-2022_11_19-16_44_47.vma.lzo | vma extract -v -r /var/tmp/vzdumptmp4009962.fifo - /var/tmp/vzdumptmp4009962' failed: storage 'backup' does not exist

Hello,

How do you restore the backup?

Are you using a command line to restore the backup to PVE7? If yes, can you please provide us with the command line?

Hi,

I tried restoring from the GUI. Proxmox version 7.1-7. But from the error message i assume the following command was run on the CLI:
Code:
restore vma archive: lzop -d -c /var/lib/vz/dump/vzdump-qemu-208-2022_11_19-16_44_47.vma.lzo | vma extract -v -r /var/tmp/vzdumptmp4009962.fifo - /var/tmp/vzdumptmp4009962

So the main issue is that the storage name for the HDD on the old server is different on the new server.

I.E. old storage name = 'backup' - (scsi0: backup:vm-208-disk-0,size=55G)

new storage name = 'local-lvm' - (scsi0: local-lvm:vm-208-disk-0,size=55G)

I assume this based on the error below:
Code:
/var/tmp/vzdumptmp4009962' failed: storage 'backup' does not exist

That seems to be the only thing preventing the vzdump from being restored.

Is there a way to edit the vzdump file? I'm pretty confident that merely changing the storage name in the configuration should resolve the issue.

I tried restoring from the GUI. Proxmox version 7.1-7. But from the error message i assume the following command was run on the CLI:
From the GUI when you select the backup file and click on the restore button you should see "storage" under the "source", there you can change the storage name i.e, 'local-lvm'.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!