Boot Proxmox before MacOs

DavidYareth

Feb 6, 2022
Hi,

I recently installed Proxmox in my old Mac Mini, but I'm using an exrternal disk in order to keep the option of using MacOs if I need it. The problem is that I'm not able to set Proxmox as the default OS to boot and if I restart remotelly my proxmox server I'm not able to access it again. I have tried from MacOs going to the system preferences and then from startup disk but the disk where Proxmox is installed isn't recognized by this functionality of MacOs. Does anyone know how to change the boot order in the Mac Mini and set the external disk where Proxmox is installed as the default disk to boot?

Thank you in advance.

Usually you enter your BIOS/UEFI and change the boot priority so its booted first from the disk that PVE is installed to. But I guess you already checked that and there is no such option because its apple and they don't want you to be able to do such stuff?

Yes, that's the problem, Apple doesn't want you to touch that much things so macs don't really have a BIOS/UEFI, the way to change the boot order is through a menu of system preferences and then going to a option named start up disk, but it doesn't show me the disk where proxmox is installed. Maybe somebody knows if there is an option to change the boot order of the mac from the "BIOS/UEFI" MacOs has.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!