[SOLVED] Can't log in to brand new 7.2 install?

Jazz30-06

May 8, 2022
Hello all,
I am brand new to the homelab game and I've been... struggling. I've tried several different hypervisors and now I am on Proxmox. Install is straightforward, but when I try to log in with the credentials I created, it won't let me. I've installed and made credentials progressively more simple 4 times now to the point that my user email is only three-letter acronyms and my password is only counting up from a number. I KNOW I am not typing things in wrong, but I can't log into the local terminal, SSH in, or use the WebUI. Has anyone run into this before?

I don't think that the user email matters at all for login. You need to use root as the user name to login to the Proxmox host console. The password set in the installer is for the user named root.
Or maybe the keyboard layout used by the installer is different from the keyboard layout set on the console. What keyboard layout did you select in the installer?

Also make sure to choose the right realm when logging in as root. You want PAM and not PVE.

I don't think that the user email matters at all for login. You need to use root as the user name to login to the Proxmox host console. The password set in the installer is for the user named root.
Or maybe the keyboard layout used by the installer is different from the keyboard layout set on the console. What keyboard layout did you select in the installer?
I'm using the standard english keyboard for install and everything. I will see if it will let me login using root. I'm pretty sure I did before, but I will try again.

Thank you guys. I was following the guide by TechnoTim on YouTube and he was using the email that was used for the install and setup as his login. I swore I'd tried root, but apparently not.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!