Proxmox backup to synology nas

Is it even possible if so how?

Do I back up and restore ?

Environment
I do have a 10 TB system with various NVME drives
and 50 TB Synology NAS.
https://global.download.synology.co...8+/enu/Synology_DS918_Plus_Data_Sheet_enu.pdf

Requirements
Do you need incremental/deduplicated backups?
> incremental is ok

Do you want to backup guests or the PVE host or files/folders?
> i wanna be able to rollback fast as i am using Proxmox as a workstation

I wanna be able to back up the Promox to Synology >
Should I create a container system or just back up to network storage?

Last edited:
Like already told you by people in other threads, you need to explain more whats the problem or what you want. The more you write, the better people can help.

And yes, you can backup to a Synology NAS. But how and what really depends what you want to backup and how you want it to be backuped which you didn't told us.

Vzdump or PBS or some third-party software?
Is the Synology able to run a VM?

Last edited:
Reactions: rifaterdemsahin
Like already told you by people in other threads, you need to explain more whats the problem or what you want. The more you write, the better people can help.

And yes, you can backup to a Synology NAS. But how and what really depends what you want to backup and how you want it to be backuped which you didn't told us.

Vzdump or PBS or some third-party software?
Is the Synology able to run a VM?
thanks for the feedback.
Update the question here are the answers

Requirements
> incremental is ok

> i wanna be able to rollback fast as i am using proxmox as a workstation

For a fast rollback I would do hourly ZFS snapshots that you for example keep for 48 hours. A good tool to automate snapshotting and deleting old snapshots is cv4pve-autosnap.

If you need fast restores I wouldn't use the NAS as you then are limited by the network speed and the NAS probably uses slow HDDs.
So I would buy some enterprise SSDs (SATA would be fine) dedicated for your backups and put them in your PVE server. Then I would install the proxmox-backup-server package to your PVE host, so you are running a PBS aside your PVE. You can then open the PBS webUI (port 8007 instead of 8006) and use it to create a new ZFS pool using the new SSDs as a datastore. Then you add your PBS as a storage to your PVE. Benefit would be that you got faster backups because they can be done incrementally so only the parts of the VMs that changed since the last backup need to be transfered. And because of deduplication you save alot of space. In case you got a VM that doesn't change that much storing 100 backups wouldn't consume much more space than just a single backup. I would use this PBs storage to do daily "snapshot mode" backups and weekly "stop mode" backups.

And in case you want to be even more on the safe side you could setup a second PBS server on a remore location and then sync your two PBS so you got a slow but offsite second backup somewhere else.

Edit:
If you don't want to install the PBS bare metal aside your PVE you can also install it inside a VM or LXC. Its a bit more annoying to setup (user remapping of unprivileged LXCs or disk passthrough for VMs) but its easier to backup and restore the PBS in case you need to install a fresh PVE (you could use vzdump to backup the PBS guest).

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!