Plenty of storage but getting errors I am out of storage. Please help a newcomer.

TheePorkchopExpress

Nov 26, 2021
Hello,

I have been running a VM and a few containers on my VM105 but when I tried to install "net-tools" on my Ubuntu VM I got this error message: "E: You don't have enough free space in /var/cache/apt/archives/."

I have plenty of storage but apparently I have added it/mounted it incorrectly.

Below are come commands I ran (with relevant screenshots). Where is /archives getting its storage? What did I do wrong? How can I fix it? I am assuming I will run into this exact issue with other VMs?
I have plenty of storage but am stuck trying to install a tiny service... you can see my storage is 3800+GB.

PVESM Status (Proxmox cli) - see attached screenshot
LVS (Proxmox cli) - see attached screenshot
df -H (Proxmox cli) - see attached screenshot
Edit
Added screenshot from guest Ubuntu VM using df -H

I am trying to figure this out but I am learning as I go and I am not sure what is wrong.

Can someone please help?

I can provide screenshots and more details, but may need some help as I am learning as I go.

Attachments

• df -H.png
    df -H.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 21
  • LVS.png
    LVS.png
    35.3 KB · Views: 18
  • PVESM STATUS.png
    PVESM STATUS.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 16
  • VM105 Options.png
    VM105 Options.png
    48.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20220227-082845.png
    Screenshot_20220227-082845.png
    702.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Are you trying to install inside the VM? The disk space pics you show I think are all from the host, not the guest. You could run `df -h` inside your Ubuntu guest--perhaps that is where you are out of space.

Reactions: TheePorkchopExpress
Are you trying to install inside the VM? The disk space pics you show I think are all from the host, not the guest. You could run `df -h` inside your Ubuntu guest--perhaps that is where you are out of space.
Thank you I thought I provided from the guest must have missed that screenshot. Just uploaded it to my post. But here it is on this reply too.

I don't what all those /loop"s are and I don't see the 3tb I gave this guess from the proxmox gui. I assume the issue is the 20gb on the Ubuntu line?

Attachments

702.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Attachments

702.1 KB · Views: 15
You are clearly out of space in your VM, as you can see in the output of "df" which shows 100% usage of your root file system.
You have not provided an lsblk, lvs, vgs from inside the VM, but I am guessing the underlying physical disk is indeed 3tb as PVE screenshot shows.

You have few choices:
- extend the volume group inside the VM, then extend the filesystem. Many guides available on the net.
- create a new lvm disk inside the VM from the remaining space, format it, mount and move your data to it.
- reinstall your VM and select a larger disk during OS installation
- find and remove data thats not necessary: du -h -d1 -x / ;du -h -d1 -x /var ;etc

I suggest option 1.

Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Last edited:
You are clearly out of space in your VM, as you can see in the output of "df" which shows 100% usage of your root file system.
You have not provided an lsblk, lvs, vgs from inside the VM, but I am guessing the underlying physical disk is indeed 3tb as PVE screenshot shows.

You have few choices:
- extend the volume group inside the VM, then extend the filesystem. Many guides available on the net.
- create a new lvm disk inside the VM from the remaining space, format it, mount and move your data to it.
- reinstall your VM and select a larger disk during OS installation
- find and remove data thats not necessary: du -h -d1 -x / ;du -h -d1 -x /var ;etc

I suggest option 1.

Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
Thank you, quick question why does the GUI does it say 3200+ GB but I only have 20gb available to the VM? What is the difference?What is using/rather what is able to use the 3tb I gave it at set up? How do I change the 20gb value when I set up a VM initially? I don't remember ever picking 20gb.

I assumed when I set it up that everything would be saved in the 3tb volume.. obviously I'm still learning and made mistakes just trying to learn so I don't make the same mistake again.

I dont know what you did to setup your VM to explain how you got to that state. My guess is the OS distribution you picked creates a minimum required root disk for it to function, which is 20gb. It probably leaves the rest for you to use as you see fit. You were probably given a choice to change that during the installation. You likely clicked "next". This is all a guess.

This is the search string to google: "ubuntu expand root partition lvm"
There are a few variables, like the type of the filesystem you use, but generally the first google result is a safe starting point:
https://computingforgeeks.com/extending-root-filesystem-using-lvm-linux/

Reactions: TheePorkchopExpress
I dont know what you did to setup your VM to explain how you got to that state. My guess is the OS distribution you picked creates a minimum required root disk for it to function, which is 20gb. It probably leaves the rest for you to use as you see fit. You were probably given a choice to change that during the installation. You likely clicked "next". This is all a guess.

This is the search string to google: "ubuntu expand root partition lvm"
There are a few variables, like the type of the filesystem you use, but generally the first google result is a safe starting point:
https://computingforgeeks.com/extending-root-filesystem-using-lvm-linux/

Understood thank you do much. Will look into fixing this soon.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!