disk structure

zapeador

Jan 28, 2022
Hello, I have some machines that I don't assemble myself, but I find that several machines that use proxmox follow the following structure

─sda3 1,8T 0 part

├─machinetest--vg-Sistema 37,3G 0 lvm /

├─ machinetest --vg-data_tmeta 80M 0 lvm

│ └─ machinetest --vg-data-tpool 1,2T 0 lvm

│ ├─ machinetest --vg-data 1,2T 0 lvm

│ ├─ machinetest --vg-vm--104--disk--0 4M 0 lvm

│ ├─ machinetest --vg-vm--104--disk--1 50G 0 lvm

│ ├─ machinetest --vg-vm--109--disk--0 350G 0 lvm

│ ├─ machinetest --vg-vm--109--disk--1 4M 0 lvm

│ └─ machinetest --vg-vm--112--disk--0 350G 0 lvm

├─ machinetest --vg-data_tdata 1,2T 0 lvm

│ └─ machinetest --vg-data-tpool 1,2T 0 lvm

│ ├─ machinetest --vg-data 1,2T 0 lvm

│ ├─ machinetest --vg-vm--104--disk--0 4M 0 lvm

│ ├─ machinetest --vg-vm--104--disk--1 50G 0 lvm

│ ├─ machinetest --vg-vm--109--disk--0 350G 0 lvm

│ ├─ machinetest --vg-vm--109--disk--1 4M 0 lvm

│ └─ machinetest --vg-vm--112--disk--0 350G 0 lvm

As you can see I have 4 104--disk and this machine only has 1 disk connected and the fact that the structure is repeated twice has me still a little crazy

Last edited:
Please post in English - this also increases your chances of getting an answer :)

From automatically translating your post:

the "4 disks" you see are actually 2 disk-images:
* vm-104-disk-0 (from the size of it I assume this is the efivars disk, in the configuration - and that VM 104 is booted with UEFI)
* vm-104-disk-1 (50G)
* both are listed twice in the lsblk output - because you have a lvm-thin storage (https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pvesm.html#storage_lvmthin) - a LVM thin pool consists of 2 LVs - the data LV and the metadata LV - and lsblk shows both and duplicates the information

For listing disk-images (and LVs in general) - use `lvs`

I hope this explains it!

Reactions: zapeador
Please post in English - this also increases your chances of getting an answer :)

From automatically translating your post:

the "4 disks" you see are actually 2 disk-images:
* vm-104-disk-0 (from the size of it I assume this is the efivars disk, in the configuration - and that VM 104 is booted with UEFI)
* vm-104-disk-1 (50G)
* both are listed twice in the lsblk output - because you have a lvm-thin storage (https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pvesm.html#storage_lvmthin) - a LVM thin pool consists of 2 LVs - the data LV and the metadata LV - and lsblk shows both and duplicates the information

For listing disk-images (and LVs in general) - use `lvs`

I hope this explains it!

Sorry, I already put it in English

From what I see if it has to do with lvm-thin storage, I am going to learn more about that concept because the truth is that it surprises me to see everything duplicated

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!