Vlan aware problem

frankz

Nov 16, 2020
Hello everyone, I activated the vlan aware option on 3 nodes of a cluster. I tried to insert the 200 tag on a vm of 1 not and the 200 tag on a vm of the second node. Unfortunately, they can't be seen. If instead on a node where there are several VMs I insert the tag on 2 VMs on the same node it works. I tried the configurations of a virtualized test cluster with 3 nodes, but everything works there. Where can I verify the problem?

Thanks to everyone, but the information I had read was incomplete, that is, the configuration is correct but a piece is missing ...... the creation of 2 additional interfaces (linux vlan) and (a bridge with the linux vlan). Virtually the configuration only works on a node with the same VMs but unable to rotate the vlans. Thanks anyway to everyone.

Thanks to everyone, but the information I had read was incomplete, that is, the configuration is correct but a piece is missing ...... the creation of 2 additional interfaces (linux vlan) and (a bridge with the linux vlan). Virtually the configuration only works on a node with the same VMs but unable to rotate the vlans. Thanks anyway to everyone.
Hi, I tried after several days what was written above, namely add the linux vlan interface and create another interface to bridge. Unfortunately, the vlan aware continues not to work on all nodes that belong to the cluster, but they only work if they belong to the same node, so as in my configuration with pfsense that is located on the interface where a VM resides with vlan i of hosts speak perfectly, but the other VMs of the NO cluster.

Has anyone encountered the problem if it is a problem or the wrong configuration?

Are the hosts connected using a switch?

If they do, check the switch settings and make sure that it does allow tagged packets on every port involved in the vlan aware bridges on each hosts. Try setting those ports in "trunk" mode, so they will allos all vlans. Every switch has its own way to set trunks or vlans, so I can't give you a more detailed instructions.

Are the hosts connected using a switch?

If they do, check the switch settings and make sure that it does allow tagged packets on every port involved in the vlan aware bridges on each hosts. Try setting those ports in "trunk" mode, so they will allos all vlans. Every switch has its own way to set trunks or vlans, so I can't give you a more detailed instructions.
Hi Victor, thank you for your reply. But my question is to know if a cluster like mine with only one switch for the LAN where I'm interested only runs the vlan, so an ave of the node must communicate with another vm of the other node always of the same cluster, connected to the only switch of the LAN can see each other. The vmbr0 of the three nodes is on the same switch and some of the lvm of the three nodes that make up the cluster connected to the vmbr0 respectively 1 vm = node 1 2 vm = node 2 and 3 vm = node 3 (all LAN ) . If I put the vlan aware tag on the three being on 3 different nodes but on the same cluster you do not see . if for example I move vm 2 from not 2 to node 1 with the same vlan tag you see .

As you can see from the tag, they don't communicate unless I move one of the three to another node.

vlantag.png

Last edited:
When 2 VM run in the same Proxmox server, network traffic among them flows using the "vlan aware bridge" they are connected to in that server (vmbr0). It never reaches the LAN switch. When VMs run in different Proxmox servers, traffic must get through the LAN switch to reach other. Thats why I asked you to check the configuration of the LAN switch the servers are connected to. Did you do that? Is there a firewall running in either Proxmox server or the VMs?

When 2 VM run in the same Proxmox server, network traffic among them flows using the "vlan aware bridge" they are connected to in that server (vmbr0). It never reaches the LAN switch. When VMs run in different Proxmox servers, traffic must get through the LAN switch to reach other. Thats why I asked you to check the configuration of the LAN switch the servers are connected to. Did you do that? Is there a firewall running in either Proxmox server or the VMs?
Hi Victor, and thank you for replying. It just wants to highlight that with the vlan aware it should ... be possible to make the vlan tag work throughout the entire cluster, as another user worked with version 6. I know very well that in the traditional way it is necessary to intervene on the switch but according to user experiences this should not be useful.

In any case, you must setup your network equipment properly to allow vlan's to travel among your switch ports. If your switch is not configured to allow tagged packets and/or allow vlan200 at least for the ports used by your server's LAN interfaces, no host configuration will override those settings.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!