How to configure PBS to reuse tapes?

nmue

Nov 30, 2009
I am a PBS beginner and try to use the magnet tape backup to create a daily backup of my machines. I added a couple of tapes to my inventory and created a media pool "daily" and want to write to it every night. This worked great, but now both my tapes are status = "full" and when the job runs I get the following error message: no usable media found.

Is there a way to automatically reuse a tape after a couple of days? Let's say I would add 7 tapes to the pool and every day the backup would be written to another tape?

yes, you have to set the 'retention' and 'allocation' policy accordingly,. e.g. allocation : every day 02:00 -> will start a new media-set every day at 02:00, retention policy: 6 days -> will reuse a tape if the media set started >6 days ago

Ok let's say I have two tapes that I want to use and I want to write to the tape every night. First night on tape #1, second night on tape #2, third night on tape #1 and so on.

I added both tapes to one media pool and set allocation = daily and retention = 1 days. This still isn't correct. How would I achieve what I want?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!