HELP!! I am having problems uploading .ISO images

warloxian

Jun 26, 2021
The % calculator just keeps restarting? I don't ask a lot of questions on here. I like figuring out things on my own, but, I need help.
I am >| |< that close to having my home lab set up to begin my self training on ethical hacking. I still have several .ISO images I need to upload. I was able to upload Kali by using the download from URL method, but I can't get win10 and several others to work. I try to upload and it just resets over and over and never spits out an error. I need someone who can hold my hand for a few days to help me finalize my lab set up. One thing is the ISO upload. I have used the windows media creation tool and generated my ISO, I have been through Filezilla and several other file servers but I am too STUPID!! to figure those out. I have plenty of storage, CPU's, ram etc.....
I will list the last few things I could use help with,. This has all taken me longer then I expected and I am going to be starting a new job next week, I am being forced into fast forward mode.
1. I need step by step how to upload these ISO images
2. I need a little help setting up my pfsense as well as setting up VPN's and being able to access my servers from outside my network while still protecting my vulnerable OS's , like metasploitable etc......
As usual , I do appreciate any help I can get and I am committed to giving back to this community once I am able to finish my project framework.

Even if you have a link to something to help me, because i have attempted to use several methods on the ISO uploads to no avail.

Last edited:
The % calculator just keeps restarting? I don't ask a lot of questions on here. I like figuring out things on my own, but, I need help.
I am >| |< that close to having my home lab set up to begin my self training on ethical hacking. I still have several .ISO images I need to upload. I was able to upload Kali by using the download from URL method, but I can't get win10 and several others to work. I try to upload and it just resets over and over and never spits out an error. I need someone who can hold my hand for a few days to help me finalize my lab set up. One thing is the ISO upload. I have used the windows media creation tool and generated my ISO, I have been through Filezilla and several other file servers but I am too STUPID!! to figure those out. I have plenty of storage, CPU's, ram etc.....
I will list the last few things I could use help with,. This has all taken me longer then I expected and I am going to be starting a new job next week, I am being forced into fast forward mode.
1. I need step by step how to upload these ISO images
2. I need a little help setting up my pfsense as well as setting up VPN's and being able to access my servers from outside my network while still protecting my vulnerable OS's , like metasploitable etc......
As usual , I do appreciate any help I can get and I am committed to giving back to this community once I am able to finish my project framework.

Even if you have a link to something to help me, because i have attempted to use several methods on the ISO uploads to no avail.
If uploading ISOs using the WebUI won't work you can always directly upload the ISO to the ISO folder using SSH, FTP or whatever you use to remotely manage files on your server as a workaround.

Maybe your
Code:
/tmp
folder has not enough space available. Afaik ISOs are copied to this during the upload and moved once the upload process is finished.

Well, That's the embarrassing part. I am a newbie and I have not been able to figure out how to use ftp or how to upload. I assume i use wget, but I am not use can just drag the location of the iso on my la[top onto the command line in proxmox? I will try it and see

I thought I should post this because I promised to share anything I learned on Proxmox. My issue with the .iso image upload didn't have anything to do with storage. It had to do with storage options on my data center setup. I did not have ISO image checked off in the content tab. Once I marked it off the ISO images upload flawlessly and very fast. Thanks for everyone's attempts to help me. This post can be marked solved or closed , at least for my exact situation this corrected my problem
1632617800716.png

Last edited:
Hey I thought I would ask in an old thread first:
I am also new to Proxmox. I can connect with FTP and see the files I upload to the default '/var/lib/vz/template/iso', however I do not know how to navigate to an additional hard drive that's been added called 'images'. I would try to upload directly to 'local' and transfer to 'images' but the larger iso uploads fail for me so far. Any advice?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 46
Hi,
navigate to an additional hard drive that's been added called 'images'.
That should be mounted in /mnt/pve/images if you used PVE tooling to add it.

So the path for the ISO there would be /mnt/pve/images/template/iso

Reactions: BrettH
Maybe your
Code:
/tmp
folder has not enough space available. Afaik ISOs are copied to this during the upload and moved once the upload process is finished.
Hi everyone,
Is it possible to empty this folder? Will I lose anything?
I apparently seems my problem.

I'd like to ask if somebody has found in the same situation.
I tryed to upload a big image and my disk went full before it was completely uploaded.
Then my disk in proxmox interface appears nearly full, when it really has no images uploaded.

Is it possible to empty this folder? Will I lose anything?
Just plainly deleting the whole thing on a running system can break stuff, that's only safe on boot and Debian does so automatically on reboot, so I'd rather recommend doing a system reboot instead of deleting file if you think /tmp is the issue. If you think it's due to not enough space deleting that folder highly probably won't help.

How big is the ISO you want to upload and what's the file system usage df -h?

Hi again,
I already tryed to reboot while I was asking this first qüestion.
I found those temporary files, and there was a big one.
I'd delete it whitout problem.

My image is 120Gb big. It is a windows server image and I'd like to see if it could be virtualised inside proxmox.

Now It is already impossible to me to import into proxmox due to insufficient space. I can't create a new volume from an 500Gb hdd, where to load ISO's.
I tryed everything. ZFS, iSCSI and LVM doen not allow to load ISO's, and I can't find the way to create a directory inside this new attached 500Gb HDD...

I'm nearly giving up...

Just for all of you. I have been dealing with this problem since day one. I have found that web UI, ssh and ftp all do the exact same thing 99% of the time and then randomly Proxmox would just accept one of these files? Anyway, about three updates ago, or so, the web Ui has started working perfectly. I can upload any size, so far, and it's working fine. I have made no other changes to files or directories. I don't know if this was something intentional that the builders of this fine system did or it ws n accident, but I want to say "YOUR DOING A F"N AWESOME JOB GUYS/GALS"

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!