Restore single Virtual Disk from PBS

zeuxprox

Renowned Member
Dec 10, 2014
Hi,

my configuration is:
  • Cluster of 5 PVE nodes (PVE 7.0-10) whit Ceph 16.2.5
  • n. Proxmox Backup Server 1.0-5 (I will update it next month)
I have some backups of a Windows Server 2019 guest wits 2 virtual disks (scsi0 and scsi1) and I want to restore only one virtual disk (scsi0). How can I do it? In the GUI I can restore only the full VM, I can't choose which virtual disk to restore...

Could you help me, please

Thanks

Hi,
it should be possible via the GUI in Proxmox Backup Server as a file (download button beside the VM's drive-xxx.img.fidx when you expand the backup) drive or via the CLI, e.g.
Code:
proxmox-backup-client restore vm/127/2021-09-09T07:46:38Z drive-scsi0.img.fidx vm-127-disk-0.raw --repository 192.168.20.180:datastore
Also see man proxmox-backup-client. Note that this will restore the drive to the file vm-127-disk-0.raw, so you still need to add it to the VM and replace it manually.

Hi,
it should be possible via the GUI in Proxmox Backup Server as a file (download button beside the VM's drive-xxx.img.fidx when you expand the backup) drive or via the CLI, e.g.
Code:
proxmox-backup-client restore vm/127/2021-09-09T07:46:38Z drive-scsi0.img.fidx vm-127-disk-0.raw --repository 192.168.20.180:datastore
Also see man proxmox-backup-client. Note that this will restore the drive to the file vm-127-disk-0.raw, so you still need to add it to the VM and replace it manually.
Hi Fabian,

so from the GUI of PVE7 it's possible to restore only the full VM and not a single virtual disk?

Hi,

are you planning, in an upcoming release, to allow the restore of a single virtual disk in addition to the entire VM and the single file?

Another really useful feature would be being able to create VLANs in the GUI ...

Thank you

Hi,

are you planning, in an upcoming release, to allow the restore of a single virtual disk in addition to the entire VM and the single file?
There also is a recent feature request, but the backup process in Proxmox VE is fundamentally designed on a per-guest level, so supporting this won't be easy and there are no concrete plans I'm aware of.

Another really useful feature would be being able to create VLANs in the GUI ...
Should be possible when you select a node and then System > Network > Create > Linux VLAN?

Thank you

Hi,

my configuration is:
  • Cluster of 5 PVE nodes (PVE 7.0-10) whit Ceph 16.2.5
  • n. Proxmox Backup Server 1.0-5 (I will update it next month)
I have some backups of a Windows Server 2019 guest wits 2 virtual disks (scsi0 and scsi1) and I want to restore only one virtual disk (scsi0). How can I do it? In the GUI I can restore only the full VM, I can't choose which virtual disk to restore...

Could you help me, please

Thanks
Where in the GUI is the restore functionality? I have been backing up for awhile but today is first time to restore a VM, for some reason I can't seem to find it.

Hello,

As a workaround, you can do this :
- Reassign all the disks you want to keep to another temporary VM (Reassign Owner). No need for it to be powered-on.
- Restore the whole VM from the backup.
- Detach the disks you previously reassigned, remove them
- Reassign the disks from the other VM to this VM

I did this and it worked for me. All the VMs were powered-off.

Hello,

As a workaround, you can do this :
- Reassign all the disks you want to keep to another temporary VM (Reassign Owner). No need for it to be powered-on.
- Restore the whole VM from the backup.
- Detach the disks you previously reassigned, remove them
- Reassign the disks from the other VM to this VM

I did this and it worked for me. All the VMs were powered-off.
Brilliant!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!