Jan 20, 2016
Bangkok
jdumont.consulting
PVE 7.0-10 I can't passthrough PCI like I usually do
  • CPU i5-2415M
lscpu return:
Code:
Virtualization:              VT-x
Flags:                           fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht
                                 tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc cpuid aperf
                                 mperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt ts
                                 c_deadline_timer aes xsave avx lahf_lm pti tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid xsaveopt dtherm ida arat pln
                                 pts

I obviously added intel_iommu=on in /etc/kernel/cmdline and updated my with proxmox-boot-tool refresh
like mentionned here: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Pci_passthrough#Enable_the_IOMMU
  • cat /proc/cmdline return: initrd=\EFI\proxmox\5.11.22-3-pve\initrd.img-5.11.22-3-pve root=ZFS=rpool/ROOT/pve-1 boot=zfs intel_iommu=on
  • dmesg |grep DMAR return: [ 0.041477] DMAR: IOMMU enabled
but via the web interface :)8006) when I try to Add: PCI Device I have this message: No IOMMU detected, please activate it.See Documentation for further information.
and if I add it the VM won't boot

So I need help to sort
  1. if my CPU is supported
  2. what I need to do to make it work
Thank you

Unfortunaly, you can't passthrough PCIe device with this CPU. You need VT-d for this, not only VT-x. Some Sandy bridge M CPUs support this, but you to be sure your motherboard and BIOS support this.

Reactions: JOduMonT
Althoughj VT-d is not support by your CPU, a router VM should work fine with two virtual bridges: one for the physical network device on the host and one (or more) for your LAN, DMZ, etc. I think OPNSense supports VirtIO. That way, you don't need to use PCI(e) passthrough.
yes at the end I'll give a try
my point is to have a portable IoT Controller
2 VM: OPNsense + LineageOS
2 CT: ddclient + HomeAssistant

Which raise me that question: if PCI Passthrough don't work, I'll still be able to do USB Passthrough ??

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!