Moving a cluster member/changing cluster member IP?

wasteground

Aug 6, 2019
Hi!

I have a cluster with PMG, consisting of two nodes (both with community license). I'd like to move one of those nodes to a different location, which means changing the IP. The nodes are running in PVE, so no issues there, I will stop the VM, back it up, and restore it on the new PVE cluster. But what steps would be best inside PMG itself? I don't see anything obvious in the admin guide on how to handle that situation.

Should I remove it from the cluster first then re-add it later? The node I want to move is not the master, so I suspect this might be the easiest way?

I have some customisation with templates and scripts for Let's Encrypt/signatures and things, so I'd rather not do a fresh installation for the new node but rather just move the existing mode, but if making a new node is the officially recommended method I'll go with it :)

Thanks in advance for any tips or ideas!

In general I would say - just setup a fresh PMG and join it to your existing cluster - it's quite easy and should only copy the config+quarantine contents to the new node. That's certainly the cleanest and easiest solution.

I have some customisation with templates
If you mean the configuration templates from PMG - those get synced inside a cluster
scripts for Let's Encrypt/signatures and things,
with PMG 6.4 we have added Let's Encrypt support and made it easier to update the certificate fingerprints inside a cluster - just as a hint :)

That being said - it should be possible to move a node/change its IP - without testing it I think the steps needed would be:
* move the node, change it's IP, /etc/hosts, hostname, resolv.conf (the domainname of the node gets read from there)
* ssh from master to the node, and from the node to master (to get the ssh-host-keys stored)
* edit /etc/pmg/cluster.conf
* restart the node
* check `pmgcm status`

as said - this is only theoretical - if the steps don't work - please provide the logs of the systems

I hope this helps!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!