Set MTU on Guest

I have this patches work on production more than 6 month for now without any cases, is there any reason why this patches is not merged to oficial code tree, maybe we can do something to speed up approval procedure?

Reactions: AlexanderR
BUMP

Setting MTU can be more useful than just hetzner. Leaving this to the guest is pretty unclean.

Looks like Mr. Dietmar reject this
https://pve.proxmox.com/pipermail/pve-devel/2018-August/033558.html
As he dislikes device specific options.

That makes no sense. While i can see where he is comming from, this logic would practically deny any improvement on a virtual device over its hardware sibling.
So the common feature set will always be the oldest smallest featureset in a device category, that is if we follow that blindly.

setting mtus isnt something from outer space, its a regular thing you often need in vlans and vpns. clinet side manual tweaking doesnt suite that well as it is a per network requirement not per vm

@spirit
do you have updates versions of that patch for latest promox ?

Reactions: Tacid
I have a patched version that has been working on production for more than a year now, and a little over a month on PVE 6.0.
I haven't had any problems with this particular patch so far, so I think it's quite reliable. You just need to remember to apply patches after each PVE update. (I have made a post-invoke script for dpkg that patches the right files and set up dpkg-divert)

P.S. My patches that works on PVE 6 is in attachments

Attachments

• pvemanagerlib_js.patch.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 24
  • qemu_server_pm.patch.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I have a patched version that has been working on production for more than a year now, and a little over a month on PVE 6.0.
I haven't had any problems with this particular patch so far, so I think it's quite reliable. You just need to remember to apply patches after each PVE update. (I have made a post-invoke script for dpkg that patches the right files and set up dpkg-divert)

P.S. My patches that works on PVE 6 is in attachments

Works like a charme! Please add patch to official proxmox version.

I'm setting my guest VM's MTU to 1400 via DHCP.
Option is 26. Type Unsigned 16-bit integer and value is 1400.
I'm running DHCP on a pfsense cluster, but it should work on other DHCP servers as well.

Best regards
Sebastian

Hi

I have some VMs (with VirtIO)
you can try to hack

/usr/share/perl5/PVE/QemuServer.pm

sub print_netdevice_full {
$tmpstr .= ",bootindex=$net->{bootindex}" if $net->{bootindex} ;
$tmpstr .= ",host_mtu=1400" if $net->{model} eq 'virtio';

then

systemctl restart pvedaemon

and start your vm.

Hi,

I have this setup and works like a charm, but... some VMs with virtio gets mtu:1400 but others VMs also with virtio did not (maintains the default mtu:1500). How can add individual mtu parameter to /etc/pve/qemu-server/xxx.conf ?

Thanks

I've applied the patch and restarted pveproxy, but I get:
Error
Parameter verification failed. (400)
net0: invalid format - format error net0.mtu: property is not defined in schema and the schema does not allow additional properties

What else needs a restart to make it work? [edit: answering my own question]: pvedaemon needs to be restarted

Also in the mailing list, there's 3 files patched but only 2 here... what's different?
(I cannot see the attachments using the mailing list archive...)

Thanks.

It seems the last update to pve-manager (6.1-8) don't work proper even after re-applying the patches.
I now get a "Unable to parse network options" in the GUI trying to open Hardware -> Network Device (net0).

[edit] Reverted pve-manager to 6.1-7 and applied your patch for pvemanagerlib.js and it's back to normal.

Last edited:
Your latest patch works on pve-manager >= 6.1-8 ?
If so, could you also paste a link here I'd like to manually patch in the mean time... worried about staying pinned to 6.1-7 while the rest of proxmox is updated frequently.
Thanks

I don't understand why this was not integrated yet. There are clearly multiple use cases for this. It can be a hidden option (advanced checkbox) just like with the NICs for the host.

Thanks

Reactions: AlexanderR

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!