paul20

May 30, 2018
I have a server:

CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2689 @ 2.6 GHz
Mobo: Supermicro X9DRi-LN4F+
RAM: 72 GB ECC @ 1333 MHz
HD: NVMe 970 EVO 256 GB, 2x 1 TB WD, 2x 500 GB SSD
GPU: AMD RX 570

Every time I copy a big file from a drive to a different drive, iowait goes up to 80% and all VMs become unusable until the transfer is complete. My NVMe gets a maximum speed of 1.5 GB/s and 10k iops. I tried changing filesystem to EXT4/ZFS and it was the same. Until now, I didn't bother digging further as I thought it was a motherboard issue. Today, I decided to pass through my NVMe to a Windows VM directly and ran some tests. To my surprise, I'm getting 3.5 GB/s and 130k iops which is what a 970 EVO should do. What could cause this? Is there a kernel module/parameter that could cause my drives to slow down? The issue happens on my SATA SSDs too. They get low IOPS and low speeds, no matter what filesystem I use.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!