Remove Ceph

LEX

Jul 7, 2017
How to completely remove ceph? (PVE 6.0-9 ceph nautilus 14.2)

I'm not a expert.. but you should:

1 - Stop/Out all OSDs
2 - Remove all OSDs
3 - Remove ALL Mons (except the master)
4 - Remove ALL Managers (except the master)
5 - Execute on each OSD node: pveceph purge
6 - On last node (master mon/mgr): stop all ceph services, and execute: pveceph purge

If you wanna run CEPH again, you need to remove all conf files on /etc/ceph/ and /var/lib/ceph first...

Last edited:
stop all ceph services
what are these services?
sorry I'm newbie

stop all ceph services
what are these services?
sorry I'm newbie

You can use the Webinterface for most of this. Just go to a nodes ceph tab and destroy first all OSDs, then all Managers and Monitors but not the last one.
On the last one just stop those two, then go to the commandline and execute pveceph purge to remove the ceph packages for each node.

Reactions: scintilla13
The Ceph pools are empty, there are no more VMs but there is some log maybe.
The last OSD doesn't want to be stopped, without giving any reason. Proxmox 6.1-7

The Ceph pools are empty, there are no more VMs but there is some log maybe.
The last OSD doesn't want to be stopped, without giving any reason. Proxmox 6.1-7
Try with systemctl stop.

I'm not a expert.. but you should:

1 - Stop/Out all OSDs
2 - Remove all OSDs
3 - Remove ALL Mons (except the master)
4 - Remove ALL Managers (except the master)
5 - Execute on each OSD node: pveceph purge
6 - On last node (master mon/mgr): stop all ceph services, and execute: pveceph purge

If you wanna run CEPH again, you need to remove all conf files on /etc/ceph/ and /var/lib/ceph first...
Thank you that worked for me :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!