phs

Renowned Member
Dec 3, 2015
hello,

i have a non-standard requirement for storage solution with virtualization,
requirements:
- 200tb usable space storage space
- hypervisor

i have been thinking to get some hp/dell box, with local ssd raid1 or r5 for proxmox and disk for VM OS, at least 256gb of ram, 2x 8core cpus, dual port 12G SAS HBA and
for storage a jbod shelf with up to 44x 3.5" hdd

server will run proxmox and zfs pool with 2x Z3 vdev with 14 disks each + 2 HS, dedup on, compression on, focus being on capacity,
dedup and compression is an unknown factor, i might end up disabling it.
i plan to create few vms with lets say 2vcpus, 8gb ram, 1 small OS disk on ssd and 1 disk on zfs pool with 40 to 100tb

i would like to know if it can work, any opinion or suggestions? thanks

br

Hi,

sounds feasible, the 2x8core seems to be the weakest link here. ZFS, especially on scrubbing, likes a bit of CPU too - so if you also want to run a few VMs it could be a bit tight. But that naturally depends on the exact CPU and the VMs workloads.

Out of interest, why'd you go for two Z3 pools over one? Hotspares do seem like a good idea, buying some different batches of HDDs would be surely also a good idea in your case, you probably know that already, though :)

Hi,

sounds feasible, the 2x8core seems to be the weakest link here. ZFS, especially on scrubbing, likes a bit of CPU too - so if you also want to run a few VMs it could be a bit tight. But that naturally depends on the exact CPU and the VMs workloads.

Out of interest, why'd you go for two Z3 pools over one? Hotspares do seem like a good idea, buying some different batches of HDDs would be surely also a good idea in your case, you probably know that already, though :)

hi,

actually i have multiple reasons for 2x Z3
my trust in new hard drive is non existing, imo it is just easier to assume that all disks will fail - sooner or later,
paying some extra for peace of mind is worth it :)
it will allows me to later add another vdev and extend total usable capacity to about 300tb

anyway, do you see any problem with 100tb disk attached to VM? stability, performance?

br
phil

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!