Format drives with proxmox zfs volume

Bloodpearl

Oct 1, 2019
I can't format the drives even from an ubuntu gparted. Any ideas .

There are proxmox zfs volume on de disk.
Thanks

I can't format the drives even from an ubuntu gparted. Any ideas .
this does not seem like a proxmox issue... but what exactly does not work
any error messages, logs, etc. ?

@LnxBil Thats correct cuz am trying the format the drivers with zpool volumes on theme this screenshot is in ubuntu 19.10 were am trying to format the drives since my proxmox wont boot anymore.

With having tried formatting the drives in both proxmox and ubuntu, I would download the ultimate boot cd and use its hard drive tools to format your drives and then try formatting them using what you want to build your zpool.

@LnxBil i tryed that i get the above error tryed wiping it in windows and formating gpt also in linux and various other tools...

With having tried formatting the drives in both proxmox and ubuntu, I would download the ultimate boot cd and use its hard drive tools to format your drives and then try formatting them using what you want to build your zpool.

@SamirD Thx i will give Ultimate boot cd a try and no am not gonna use zfs or proxmox ever again. Isseu occurred after doing an distrubution upgrade.

I wouldn't necessarily blame it on zfs or proxmox--errors on drives can still break these things, and you don't know if the drives are 100% error-free yet.
@SamirD
Both of the disks show errors within the linux disk manager. I hope there software errors.

Still weird that suddenly both drives have isseus after being configured as mirror in proxmox.

Both disks are 4 tb wd red. Only of them is showing only 4GB. I cant format either one.

I will try ubuntu ultimate boot CD though. Let's see how far that brings us.

@LnxBil i tryed that i get the above error tryed wiping it in windows and formating gpt also in linux and various other tools...

You gave only one screenshot and you drive is not detected correctly. Looks like a bad drive or cable. I'd also recommend to use the cli tools instead of some gui tool that hides what's going on.

@SamirD
Both of the disks show errors within the linux disk manager. I hope there software errors.

Still weird that suddenly both drives have isseus after being configured as mirror in proxmox.

Both disks are 4 tb wd red. Only of them is showing only 4GB. I cant format either one.

I will try ubuntu ultimate boot CD though. Let's see how far that brings us.
It is odd that they only had issues after being configured like that, but I've seen weirder failures in my decades in IT, so I wouldn't rule out potentially bad drives or an extremely rare incompatibility or fluke issue.

There's a wd drive checking program on the UBCD--that's where I would start.

You gave only one screenshot and you drive is not detected correctly. Looks like a bad drive or cable. I'd also recommend to use the cli tools instead of some gui tool that hides what's going on.
He mentions building a mirror in proxmox and then they disappear. I too think it is a hardware issue.

There are a lot of good gui tools like parted magic. I'm happy to say the days of terrible gui frontends is gone as not everyone is confident with commandline, and there is risk if you mistype something on commandline as it can be pretty disastrous.

There are a lot of good gui tools like parted magic. I'm happy to say the days of terrible gui frontends is gone as not everyone is confident with commandline, and there is risk if you mistype something on commandline as it can be pretty disastrous.

Yes, but you don't see the output of dmesg there and in case of a flaky device, you want to have a look at dmesg.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!