DL 380 P gen 8 exchange. Afterwards only 1 core

F.Weiss

Sep 5, 2019
Hochheim a.M.
Dear all,

yesterday evening one dl 380 p gen 8 failed. I changed the SD Card with proxmox installed and the HDD's with ZFS on it to another one.
All went fine. After booting proxmox the node has only one core. There is only one node. Inside the DL 380 32 Core are available.

Has anyone an idea how to tell proxmox that there are more than one core inside the node?

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards
Florian

* I would first check the BIOS/Firmware settings of the machine and compare them to the original server.
* You could also try booting a different linux-livecd and see if the problem is present there as well

I changed the SD Card with proxmox installed
I would not recommend to install PVE on an SD-card - it does quite a bit of logging, which usually wears the cards down pretty fast.

I hope this helps!

* I would first check the BIOS/Firmware settings of the machine and compare them to the original server.
* You could also try booting a different linux-livecd and see if the problem is present there as well

I would not recommend to install PVE on an SD-card - it does quite a bit of logging, which usually wears the cards down pretty fast.

I hope this helps!

Hi Stoiko,

many thanks for your answer and sorry for my late reply. I tested some things and are able now to answer your proposals.

The Bios was correct. The one core looks like for me a proxmox bug. Because one dl380 has 32 core and the other 24. That was the only difference between the machines. Even when I changed the processors proxmox recognized only one core.

That is not really a problem due to setting up a test environment and only one LXC and one VM was online. I can reinstall it without big issues.

Nevertheless I have to reinstall it.

I face other problems with the DL380 and ZFS which make more problems which belonging not to Proxmox.

I tried to exchange the SD as you proposed. The problem with DL380 is the P420i RAID Controller.When I would like to use ZFS as file system and set the RAID controller to HBA mode the DL380 is not able to boot from a hard disk connected to that controller. I bought a pcie M2 NVME card an a M2 SSD.But the new controller is not recognized by HP Bios. Also a manual which describes the move from the boot disk from ZFS to the SD card, I was not able to get this going. Therefore now I have to reinstall Proxmox again on the SD Card to keep use of my DL380p Hardware.

Two questions:
- Where/How can I add a presumably bug regarding the 1 CPU after changing the hardware for the programmers of Proxmox, so that they are able to get a look in the topic regarding the drop of 32 Core to 1 after exchanging the hardware, prerequisite they have time for it?
- Is there a possibility to move the logging files, which you have mentioned to wear out the sd card fast, onto ZFS or another file system after system boot?

Thanks a lot for your help in advance.

Best regards
Florian

The Bios was correct. The one core looks like for me a proxmox bug. Because one dl380 has 32 core and the other 24. That was the only difference between the machines. Even when I changed the processors proxmox recognized only one core.
did you get a chance to test a different linux live-cd?

I'm pretty sure that there is no place where PVE stores the number of cores?

Where/How can I add a presumably bug regarding the 1 CPU after changing the hardware for the programmers of Proxmox, so that they are able to get a look in the topic regarding the drop of 32 Core to 1 after exchanging the hardware, prerequisite they have time for it?
The proper place would be our bugzilla: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com
But please provide the output of `journalctl -b` and `dmesg` while the issue is present and after you freshly booted the system (otherwise it's rather difficult to get an idea where the issue might be coming from)

- Is there a possibility to move the logging files, which you have mentioned to wear out the sd card fast, onto ZFS or another file system after system boot?
You can try to create a symlink from '/var/log' to the target-storage an move the existing files there with `rsync` - but as said, we do not recommend running PVE from an SD-Card, hence this is not tested too well.

I hope this helps!

did you get a chance to test a different linux live-cd?

I'm pretty sure that there is no place where PVE stores the number of cores?

The proper place would be our bugzilla: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com
But please provide the output of `journalctl -b` and `dmesg` while the issue is present and after you freshly booted the system (otherwise it's rather difficult to get an idea where the issue might be coming from)

You can try to create a symlink from '/var/log' to the target-storage an move the existing files there with `rsync` - but as said, we do not recommend running PVE from an SD-Card, hence this is not tested too well.

I hope this helps!

Hi Stoiko,

I have to apologize.
As I wrote the last post I was absolutely sure that all cores are available. But it wasn't.
I searched again the internet and found the solution:

You were right with your mentioned BIOS configuration difference (I was not able to look into the old DL380 because the Mainboard is damaged).

These two options must be enabled on DL 380 p Gen 8.:
  • ACPI SLIT Preferences = enabled
  • x2APIC Support = enabled
Now 32 Cores are available inside Proxmox.

Regarding changing the log location I will try your proposal.
Currently I have no other chance to keep the DL 380 p hardware.

Thank you for your help.
The thread can be closed.

Kind Regards
Florian

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!