Create RBD image based on another image

tincboy

Renowned Member
Apr 13, 2010
I've build a cloned VM using linked clone from Proxmox interface, but consider when I want to rebuild that VM, I will need to remove the primary disk of that VM and add an other one which is based on an other base image, ( for example changing the OS of that VM from Ubuntu to CentOS )
Is there any qm or qemu or rbd command to do that?

I've build a cloned VM using linked clone from Proxmox interface, but consider when I want to rebuild that VM, I will need to remove the primary disk of that VM and add an other one which is based on an other base image, ( for example changing the OS of that VM from Ubuntu to CentOS )
Is there any qm or qemu or rbd command to do that?
AFAIU you want to move virtual disks between VMs - correct? Possible, but you have to to this by editing the corresponding .conf files. those configuration changes will have only effect after the next start of a VM from idle state. If you are not careful and assign a virtual disk to more VMs running at the same time you will run into trouble. So be aware of the risk!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!