Ubuntu Desktop/Server VM won't load

binxbolling

May 15, 2019
New to Proxmox, so pardon my ignorance.

I have been attempting to setup either an Ubuntu Desktop 18.04 or Server 19.01 in a VM for days, but after successful installations for both, they will not load. Ubuntu Desktop stops loading at the Gnome loading stage and Server fails almost immediately. Both just hang with no error messages.

I started with all of the Linux defaults and have tried most of the other settings with no improvement. I have no issues loading a Windows 10 VM with its default settings. I have searched for hours attempting to find a solution, but nothing has worked.

I am thinking that I am missing something obvious and am hoping that someone will point it out.

I realized that I hadn't provided enough info. I have added screenshots of settings on my 7th attempt to get this working. I'm thinking that this may be caused by the age of the processor in the server - a Xeon E5320. If so, then this is a waste of time.If that is the case, I don't know why W10 works fine.
ScreenHunter 101.gif ScreenHunter 102.gif

Attachments

• ScreenHunter 103.gif
    ScreenHunter 103.gif
    14.4 KB · Views: 33
  • ScreenHunter 104.gif
    ScreenHunter 104.gif
    12.7 KB · Views: 25
As I said, I already tried a standard configuration, and many others, with no success. This is just the latest of many. I get the same result with all of them, so I think it is related to the age of the cpu. The only reason I've posted is that I found many other reports of issues like this in the community, so I was hoping that it might be unrelated to the cpu age.

Thank you. I installed the Intel microcode, but, unfortunately, it didn't resolve the issue. I think that the processor is just too old to fully support virtualization. Its too bad because this would have been a good test server.

can you try with a different display? e.g. vmware compatible or spice?

Wow. That resolved the issue, but now I am even more confused. I changed the Display to Spice, didn't even install the Spice client and ubuntu came right up. The console still shows that it is using noVNC, but everything is working perfectly. I really appreciate the help, but I am confused as to why it resolved the issue.

Wow. That resolved the issue, but now I am even more confused. I changed the Display to Spice, didn't even install the Spice client and ubuntu came right up. The console still shows that it is using noVNC, but everything is working perfectly. I really appreciate the help, but I am confused as to why it resolved the issue.
it seems to be this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1795857

as for the spice display, it only enables spice but does not enforce it (you can still use novnc with spice as display)

Thank you again. I am already impressed with the support that I am receiving with issues, and I hope that proxmox will become our replacement for other virtualization solutions that we have deployed.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!