Cloning a VM from snapshot - not working

Just stumbled upon this thread and have to comment, because i don't see the issue here.. if cloning from a snapshot is not implemented because of problems dealing with clones that are dependent on a parent, then you can just zfs send | receive from the snapshot to a new zvol on the same storage. What gives?

Just stumbled upon this thread and have to comment, because i don't see the issue here.. if cloning from a snapshot is not implemented because of problems dealing with clones that are dependent on a parent, then you can just zfs send | receive from the snapshot to a new zvol on the same storage. What gives?
And why your "just" can't be placed in Web GUI?

I think that nothing will happen to that requests?

And not even a warning when using zfs volumes. It would be nice to knew that BEFORE you choose your storage system. So i#m now stuck with a lot of VMs where i#m only able to work with the last snapshot and not with any else. :-(

I now need to script/fake that functionality with "zfs send" to create full-clones of snapshots.

For all the people who need a solution for this problem. The solution is more or less straight forward, you just have to do it manuially, on OS level,, and not the GUI.

Steps to do:
1) Create a empty VM (the cloned one) by copying and editing the <VM-ID>.conf file of the parent VM. (/etc/pve/nodes/<host>/qemu-server/<parent VM-IS>.conf).
2) clone the parent-snapshot: zfs clone rpool/data/vm-<parent VM-ID>-disk-0@<snapshot> rpool/data/vm-<cloned VM-ID>-disk-0

i#m writing a script that automaticlly does all the checks (target ID not used, set new strorage, new MAC in cloned-VM.conf file) and do the clone. If i finished i will publish it here / in GitHub.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!