replication runner syslog

kever

Jul 10, 2017
Heya,

Installed proxmox 5.0 on top of debian stretch using the steps in the wiki. I noticed that the syslog repeats the following sentences:

Code:
Jul 10 14:32:01 pve2 systemd[1]: Started Proxmox VE replication runner.
Jul 10 14:33:00 pve2 systemd[1]: Starting Proxmox VE replication runner...
Jul 10 14:33:01 pve2 systemd[1]: Started Proxmox VE replication runner.
Jul 10 14:34:00 pve2 systemd[1]: Starting Proxmox VE replication runner...
Jul 10 14:34:01 pve2 systemd[1]: Started Proxmox VE replication runner.

It goes on like that. The node has zfsonlinux installed but does not use any kind of configured replication from proxmox

Reactions: netdesignate
It floods the syslog, it's hard to ignore.. really like to keep the root disk writes as minimal as possible

chose the 'dir' type to be sure vms can be accessed and the pool wont be modified with proxmox specifics. So far I can check there is no way to change the type to zfspool without re-adding the storage

changed /lib/systemd/system/pvesr.timer 'Minutely' to 'Monthly' and 'systemctl daemon-reload' shared for those who dont use the replictation

You should probably use:

systemctl edit -full pvesr.timer

This will move a local file to /etc/ instead of /lib/ which will be overwritten on next update :)

Thanks for the advice though, this log was driving me crazy.

I'm seeing the same info output to syslog every minute, even when there is no replication setup...

Mar 26 08:54:00 pve-host1 systemd[1]: Starting Proxmox VE replication runner...
Mar 26 08:54:01 pve-host1 systemd[1]: Started Proxmox VE replication runner.

I see from the above that I can either ignore the output or change the timer to run at a different schedule rather than every minute but is there no way of keeping the replication runner running every minute (in future if I wish to add additional nodes!) but simply surpressing the output to syslog through a config setting somewhere? It would seem to be that the output would only be useful in a debug situation?

but simply surpressing the output to syslog through a config setting somewhere?
No systemd has no capability to drop this output in the logs. If there will be a way we would set it as default.

Can I disable pvesr.timer if I not use replication?

```
systemctl stop pvesr.timer
systemctl disable pvesr.timer
```

No systemd has no capability to drop this output in the logs. If there will be a way we would set it as default.

An entry in /etc/rsyslog.d/ could filter or redirect this to wherever you want it to go.

Just create something like /etc/rsyslog.d/proxmox.conf

and add something like:

Code:
:msg, contains, "replication runner" ~

(don't forget the tilde)

Reactions: SteveTech
An entry in /etc/rsyslog.d/ could filter or redirect this to wherever you want it to go.

Just create something like /etc/rsyslog.d/proxmox.conf

and add something like:

Code:
:msg, contains, "replication runner" ~

(don't forget the tilde)
it help, no these messages any more at the /var/log/syslog, but messages still arrive, if read the syslog via the PVE web.
Code:
root@asr2:~# cat /etc/rsyslog.d/proxmox.conf
:msg, contains, "replication runner" stop
:msg, contains, "pvesr.service: Succeeded" stop

As healermagnus noted, if you add the tilde ~ at the end instead of "stop" it eliminates the entries from the log

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!