5.3 and cephfs on external ceph cluster

Both ways. For a external ceph cluster, you only need to add a storage and to be able to edit the monitor information, you need to uncheck the 'Use Proxmox VE managed hyper-converged cephFS'.

Both ways. For a external ceph cluster, you only need to add a storage and to be able to edit the monitor information, you need to uncheck the 'Use Proxmox VE managed hyper-converged cephFS'.
but in GUI there are no these fields:
cephfs.png

Which fields are you referring too? The 'ID' identifies the storage (name), the 'Monitor(s)' of the external cluster need to be added and 'User name' of the user that has access on the foreign cluster. The MDS and which cephfs pool is communicated by the monitors of the cluster.

Which fields are you referring too? The 'ID' identifies the storage (name), the 'Monitor(s)' of the external cluster need to be added and 'User name' of the user that has access on the foreign cluster. The MDS and which cephfs pool is communicated by the monitors of the cluster.
As I wrote above: Documentation refers to parameters "path" and "subdir". But I not see this parameters in GUI.

parameters "path" and "subdir".
You only need these if you want the mount to be on a different path or if you would like to mount a subdirectory of cephfs. As these are special options, they can only be set in the storage.cfg itself.

You only need these if you want the mount to be on a different path or if you would like to mount a subdirectory of cephfs. As these are special options, they can only be set in the storage.cfg itself.
Yes, I need this. Thanks for the answer!

When I attempt to connect to external ceph cluster I got error:
libceph: bad option at 'secretfile=/etc/pve/priv/ceph/ceph-fs.secret'
ceph-fs.secret contain only key.

This file "contain only the ceph key from the keyfile".
Please check that it is one line and that it has no new line.

Hm... just checked, I think you need to update the cephfs client to luminous that it works. Easiest with 'pveceph install', then all ceph packages are installed with luminous.

Hm... just checked, I think you need to update the cephfs client to luminous that it works. Easiest with 'pveceph install', then all ceph packages are installed with luminous.
Hmm.

Very interesting.

Previously I used version 5.2
I upgrade it to 5.3 by apt update/apt upgrade/apt dist-upgrade
After upgrade 'apt' says - all packages is fresh and there is nothing to update.
I execute 'pveceph install' and stop it (i.e. I do not install anything).
I execute 'apt update/apt upgrade' again. And see:
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libcephfs2 libcurl3 libleveldb1v5 liblttng-ust-ctl2 liblttng-ust0 python-prettytable python-rgw
The following packages will be upgraded:
ceph-common ceph-fuse librados2 libradosstriper1 librbd1 librgw2 python-cephfs python-rados python-rbd
Аfter updating everything started working.
I think it's a bug in updating/upgrading process and should be fixed.

But anyway - thanx again.

Thanks for this Thread.
I was able to solve our Problem with this Thread, i had to replace the original Repo from CEPH with the Proxmox Repo, after "apt upgrade" i was able to mount cephFS from our external Server.

A little Background Info about our current Setup:
Currently we using an external CEPH Storage on Debian which already running on Mimic (deployed with Croit), so i have changed the repo to original from CEPH to get the Mimic Updates. Our external Backup CEPH is running with Proxmox itself, currently they is exporting the RBD through an Gateway NFS VM, but i want to use cephFS to storing the Backups on them. With the original Update from ceph we wasnt able to mount it. The Error Message: "create storage failed: error with cfs lock 'file-storage_cfg': mount error: dmesg | tail or so. (500)".

But now its solved.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!