Questions about Cluster?

killmasta93

Renowned Member
Aug 13, 2017
Hi,
I was wondering if someone could clear up some questions i have.
Currently have 2 nodes with proxmox each. They are both in a cluster. I was wondering if its possible to have both VMs running at the same as if one of the Host stops working the other one comes in. I saw the option of replication but it works but not immediately brings the machine up. Is there something i missed?

Thank you

Hi,

What you mean is HA and need a minimum of 3 nodes or two nodes and a quorum device.
Thanks for the reply, theres an option on proxmox where i see HA, currently have 2 nodes inside of cluster. I tried to test out the HA but it seems that it only migrates the Vms instead of having them on identical. I also say another option call replication but that option is replicates the Vm but if something happens to the Vm one has to do it manually to recover instead of automatic.

Thank you

I think you mix some things.
HA in virtualization means if a VM crash the will restarted. (the VM will stop/crash).
Storage replication the local storage content (VM image) will replicate to another node in an asynchrony way.
Fail-tolerance a VM is mirrored on two hosts. One is hot-active and the other is hot-standby if the hot-active crash the hot-standby will instead takeover.

Fail-tolerance is not supported by PVE.
The HW requirements are enormous to support Fail-tolerance.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!