DNS Problem on Ubuntu 18.04 - Netplan

Junqueira Junior

Dec 3, 2018
I'm having problems to set a proper DNS server on the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

I've found several solutions through the use of the netplan configuration file. I have tried severals modifications without success. I can get into the VM and I am able to connect to other computers using the IP address. However, I cannot use the DNS server. Hence, it is not possible to install anything via apt install....

Right now my "/etc/netplan/01-netcfg.yaml" looks like:

network:
version: 2
renderer: networkd
ethernets:
ens18:
dhcp4: no
dhcp6: no
addresses: [YY.YYY.YY.XX/22]
gateway4: YY.YYY.YY.254
nameservers:
addresses: [8.8.4.4,8.8.8.8]
routes:
- to: YY.YYY.YY.254/22
via: 0.0.0.0
scope: link

Do you guys have any idea what i am doing wrong?

Thanks!

Reactions: Julien Croy
I've found several solutions through the use of the netplan configuration file. I have tried severals modifications without success. I can get into the VM and I am able to connect to other computers using the IP address. However, I cannot use the DNS server. Hence, it is not possible to install anything via apt install....

Right now my "/etc/netplan/01-netcfg.yaml" looks like:

network:
version: 2
renderer: networkd
ethernets:
ens18:
dhcp4: no
dhcp6: no
addresses: [YY.YYY.YY.XX/22]
gateway4: YY.YYY.YY.254
nameservers:
addresses: [8.8.4.4,8.8.8.8]
routes:
- to: YY.YYY.YY.254/22
via: 0.0.0.0
scope: link

Not really a Proxmox issue; however: check if

- you can ping to nameservers

- when trying to access at a target specified by name (e.g. google.com) a DNS query is sent to (and answered from) th DNS server. This can be done be tcpdump resp. wireshark.

- apt install uses ipv4 (and does not try ipv6 which is the default).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!