Firewall flag function

Snel

Nov 28, 2018
Hi,

We are configuring firewall for a couple VM's. After enabling the firewall for each VM, it must be rebooted (cold) .

We want now to enable the firewall option in hardware>network device for all VM's. And then disable the firewall in Firewall>options enable flag by default.

1. The question now is what does this enable flag in Firewall>options do exactly?

2. Will this solution have a negative impact on our nf_conntrack table. Will all the VM's effect the nf_conntrack table?

Or will the nf_conntrack table be effected only by the vm's by which the enable flag in Firewall>options is turned on.

1. The question now is what does this enable flag in Firewall>options do exactly

• Enable / Disable at Datacenter level: Specifies if any firewall settings (in the whole cluster) are in effect at all
  • Enable / Disable at Host level: Specifies if firewall settings for traffic where the source or destination is host are in effect
  • Enable /Disable at VM / CT level: Specifies if the firewall rules defined for that host are in effect at the interfaces marked with firewall
See also https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pve-firewall.html

Just for my understanding, which of these impact the connection tracking tables?

Enable at Datacenter level
Enable at Host level
Enable at VM / CT level
Adding actual rules

>>2. Will this solution have a negative impact on our nf_conntrack table. Will all the VM's effect the nf_conntrack table?
>Or will the nf_conntrack table be effected only by the vm's by which the enable flag in Firewall>options is turned on.

I think that all connections are going to the conntrack (but allowed by default if vm don't have any firewall).
as workaround, I think it's possible to manually add in PREROUTING table
-A PREROUTING -i tap.... -j NOTRACK

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!