Installing separate Proxmox without clustering

Andrew Holybee

Mar 27, 2017
I have a single server running proxmox 4.4 that is backing up to a NAS. I am wanting to install another Proxmox server running 4.4 as well for development and also as a backup. Will there be any issues adding them both to the same domain and then connecting it to the NAS to restore if needed?

4.4 is out of support and does not get updates anymore, i would recommend upgrading or at least use 5.x for your second node
adding them both to the same domain
what exactly do you mean by this?

then connecting it to the NAS to restore if needed?
having 2 clusters (or single machines) connected to the same storage is always dangerous, as we assume that all pve related things (like backups, vm images, etc) belong to only
that cluster/machine. e.g. if you have a node A with a vm 100 on nfs, creating a vm 100 on node B (with the same storage) works, but if you delete the vm on either node, all vm disks for a vm '100' are deleted
also there is no locking mechanism across hosts/clusters so you could come into a situation where both nodes try to access the same vm image at the same time

I am setting this up as a backup box only to be used in the event that the first box goes down. If I have VM's they will be differently named to avoid any confusion. I made up a domain when I installed the box and didn't use my domain I was just curious if that would affect anything.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!