dual ring topology questions

RobFantini

Famous Member
May 24, 2012
Boston,Mass
Hello

I am trying to get a full understanding dual ring networks before using for corosync .

Question 1: how many hardware network interface ports are needed per node for a dual ring set up?

Best Regards,
Rob Fantini

Hi RobFantini
Question 1: how many hardware network interface ports are needed per node for a dual ring set up?
You need two ports per node for corosync with two rings.
One port for ring0 and the other for ring1.

I think you get misguided about the name "ring".
This has not to be a real ring network topology.
Normally you use common star network topology with a switch per ring.
If you want to make a real ring network topology you need 2 NICs per ring that means total 4 per node.
And you must set up your routing what is not so easy so I would use a star network topology.

I think you get misguided about the name "ring".
This has not to be a real ring network topology.
Normally you use common star network topology with a switch per ring.
If you want to make a real ring network topology you need 2 NICs per ring that means total 4 per node.
And you must set up your routing what is not so easy so I would use a star network topology.

OK I understand.

For now we'll use two corosync star networks. Each connected to a reliable switch.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!